Bourgault Cleared by NCAA
Junior Marco Bourgault has been cleared by the NCAA to play for the St. John’s men’s basketball team, according to the team.
A student at St. John’s gave a first hand account of what he saw transpire in his Tuesday morning class in Sullivan Hall around 10:50 am.
“He raised his hand during class, stated he had been cleared and that he needed to leave immediately,” the student said. “He said he needed to get to South Carolina.”
Shortly after The Torch broke the story, St. John’s confirmed the news, stating that Bourgault will be in Charleston today.
“We are pleased Marco will now be able to contribute to our team’s efforts on the court,” head coach Steve Lavin said in a press release following the announcement. “His skill set lends itself to both playmaking and shotmaking opportunities. We expect Marco to torch the nets from long range.”
The France native previously played at Monroe College, where he averaged 10.8 points per game through 35 games in 2011-2012.
The Red Storm are currently participating in the Charleston Classic and will take on Murray State at 5:30 this evening in the semi-final game.
The Torch has yet to hear any report regarding the eligibility of senior Orlando Sanchez, who also has yet to be cleared.