Drake previews ‘Views From the 6’

It seems as if some of Drake’s best songs often hit the Internet while many are still asleep. Unlike many artists whose albums are sometimes leaked online before their actual release dates, the Toronto rapper unexpectedly dropped three new songs on his October’s Very Own blog.

He tweeted “You should probably keep an eye on that ovosound.com in the next hour…just saying…” and within an hour there were three new tracks along with the album cover for his upcoming fourth studio album “Views From the 6.” It is said that Drake did the three-song drop due to some hackers already having the music. Many believe Drake might have been feeling extra generous due to it being his 28th birthday weekend, but the jury is still out on that one.

As usual Drake shows many different sides to his music and these three songs were no different. The first, “6 God,” is probably the most hard-hitting of the three. With his new single “0 to 100” out, this next track is sure to be a hit. It definitely picks up where the first one left off and has Drake in overdrive. From the beat to Drake’s iconic delivery, everything is next-level.

On the second song, “Heat of the Moment” fans get a sound advance from Drake’s dad, Dennis Graham, as the two discuss spur-of-the-moment sexual encounters and lustful relationships. On this track, Drake is a lot more soft-spoken and brings back his love-song crooning we’ve become accustomed to. With lyrics like “Who am I gonna be when it’s all over? / When it’s all over? / I don’t wanna think about that right now/ Heat of the moment,” it gives the song a ‘YOLO’-mindset.

If you were looking for a song that was a mix between the black and white, the hard-hitting and the soft-spoken, then “How Bout Now” is just that. It definitely is a middle ground between the first two songs. Rapping over a sample of Jodeci’s “My Heart Belongs to U,” Drake talks about the girl he was once with and truly emits genuine emotion.

With all of these tracks it could mean that we are that much closer to a new Drake album. It seems like ‘Drizzy’ is not changing his formula but only making it better as he builds the momentum from last fall’s release of “Nothing Was the Same.”