Family Matters tour blesses NYC

After quickly selling out a Friday night show at Terminal 5, Chance the Rapper and the Social Experiment added a second stop for their “Family Matters” tour this past Sunday night.  Along with opening acts of Hiatus Kaiyote, D.R.A.M., Towkio and Metro Boomin Chance, they put on a memorable show that no one in attendance will be forgetting about anytime soon.

Following a strong set by Hiatus, D.R.A.M. came out very excited, just two days after the release of his “Gahdamn!” EP with production help from the Social Experiment crew.  After announcing to the crowd his good friend, Allan Kingdom, was here, the Peanut Butter Prince did what he does best and performed his part of “All Day.” Then TDE’s own SZA came out to perform her part of “Caretaker” of the new project.  All leading up to Cha Cha, which made Terminal 5 go nuts.

By this time, people had filled the venue, making the pushing and shoving to get to the front of the stage an all-time high. Next up was fellow Save Money member Towkio, playing a lot off his newest tape, “Wav Theory,” which was released last summer. Although everybody was ready for Chance’s verse in fan favorite’s “Heaven Only Knows,” they had to wait a little bit longer for him.  Metro Boomin came out after Towkio and was not the only one wanting more after his set, which featured hit after hit that had everyone dancing and singing along with every song.  After three strong openers before him Metro was able to take the energy of the crowd to the next level in preparation for the moment everyone had been waiting for.

Chance, Peter Cottontale, Stix and Donny Trumpet came out and had one of the most spectacular live performances  ever seen.  Bringing a good mix of “Acid Rap,” “10 Day Tracks” and very few songs off “Surf,” Chance came out to “Everybody’s Something” and “Pusha Man.” When it was time to play “Lost,” the Queen of Chicago rap and frequent Chance collaborator, No Name Gypsy, came out to deliver her verse to a roaring crowd.

But that wasn’t the only surprise Chance had in store for the 12th show of the tour. After going through some of his more popular features from this year, Chance went back to “10 Days” for all the day-one fans in attendance, playing songs like “14,400 Minutes,” “Family” and “Brain Cells.”  The stage presence of Chance and the whole Social Experiment crew was second to none throughout the night. Chance did his signature dance moves, putting Drake’s dance in “Hotline Bling” to shame as he hopped from one side of the stage to another.  After blessing the Friday crowd with an appearance from Ja Rule, French Montana came out towards the end of the night to play some of his hits like “Pop That” and “Aint Worried About Nothin.”

All eyes were on Chance afterwards and everyone could feel the end of the night coming. Chance slowed things down playing his remake of the “Arthur” theme song to his “Family Business” rework released at the start of the tour.  Next came “Sunday Candy,” which is the only single from “Surf” and perhaps Chance’s most well known song other than “Cocoa Butter Kisses.”

Then finally, as confetti rained down over the crowd, Chance performed “Chain Smoker” and practically turned Terminal 5 into a snow globe.  Even if you’re not a fan of his music, you could appreciate a good live show. You should definitely check out Chance the next time he comes to New York.