Jekyll and Hyde

Get into the Halloween spirit and dare yourself to try the scariest bite in town.
Torch Photo/Victoria Lohwasser
Torch Photo/Victoria Lohwasser

Halloween is quickly approaching, which means it is time to be entertained with spooky images, costumes and making some fun plans. Those who are in the mood for a taste of fear and want a bite definitely need to check out Jekyll & Hyde Club.

Jekyll & Hyde Club is a themed restaurant located in Manhattan at 91 7th Ave South, between West 4th Street and Barrow Street. The restaurant’s website, jekyllandhyde.com, describes the venue as a “haunted restaurant and bar for eccentric explorers and mad scientists where guests can eat and drink among the unusual and the bizarre.”

The audience is constantly entertained and kept on their toes the minute they get in line. Legend has it that Dr. Henry Jekyll was expelled from the London society for indulging in the darker side of science. His work created an evil alternate ego, Mr. Hyde, who wreaked havoc on the city. In 1931, he opened the club to continue his scientific endeavors as well as to invite those who shared his unorthodox methods and interests to come together.

There is continuous live entertainment and spooky effects brought by staff members, such as Professor Shroud and Dreadworthy the Butler. The staff mingles with the guests as the spirits are brought back to life. Unusual events happen every ten minutes 365 days a year, whether it be the creatures and memorabilia coming to life or encounters with Tobias the Werewolf, Claw the Gargoyle and their friends.

Going to the bathroom can also be considered an adventure because they are hidden behind bookcases.

The extensive menu offers sixty-two various dishes including Create-Your-Own-Monster burgers, Frankenstein’s Favorite, topped with cheese, mushrooms, onions and bacon, and The Mummy, sirloin bandaged in your choice of cheese. There is also a large range of pizzas that are available. Jekyll and Hyde recommend trying the three-cheese Dr. Jekyll and The Cannibal’s sausage, pepperoni and meatballs.

If you want to indulge in dessert, you have a variety of milkshakes flavors such as vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, mocha, peanut butter and Nutella, cookies and milk, and even crème brûlée. If you’re feeling adventurous, don’t be afraid to try Death By Chocolate. The dessert is a perfect blend of devil’s food cake, chocolate mousse, crunchy toffee bits, whipped cream and chocolate syrup.

Catering is available for birthday parties, bachelor/bachelorette parties, customized live entertainment and more. They can host events for three to five hundred guests. Private rooms are also available. If you wish to share the experience with family and friends that have children a kid’s menu is also available.

A must-see attraction is Jekyll & Hyde’s Chamber of Horrors, which used to be Mr. Hyde’s unholy lair. Diners can see all the treasures of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as they explore the restaurant.

As they say, anything can happen at Jekyll & Hyde, so guests you have been warned. Enter if you dare!