WaffleWednesdays with Wafels & Dinges

Torch Photo/Lindsay Gasparri
Torch Photo/Lindsay Gasparri

If you’re tired of making your own waffles at Montgoris, you can stop by the Wafels & Dinges food truck here at St. John’s.

According to their website, the waffle truck originated in Brussels, Belgium and has been around since 1831. Fast forward to 1964, where the “Brussels Waffle” made its debut in Flushing, Queens, and was renamed the “Belgium Waffle” that we all know and love today.

Luckily for SJU students, they’ve kept the truck business and are now on campus every week. During my first experience with Wafels & Dinges, I tried the Elvis Waffle with bananas, peanut butter and bacon on top. Although I barely finished the delicious treat because of the large compilation of toppings, it was the perfect mix of sweet and sour.

On my next trip to the Wafels & Dinges truck, I took a friend to see what other options they provide. They have at least 12 different options already posted on the truck and you can also choose your own toppings.

With all the options being so overwhelming, I asked for a recommendation. The attendants replied, “the most popular waffle today is the WMD Waffle, people keep ordering it nonstop.”

The WMD Waffle contains strawberries, bananas and whipped cream drenched in chocolate fudge. No wonder it was a crowd favorite. As he was describing it, I was in awe. My friend and I decided to split a waffle because of the immensity of the treat and to lower the cost for both of us.

Prices of the waffles tend to be a little expensive, but students always come back because the price is worth the quality. You can find the truck on Wednesdays parked between the D’Angelo Center and Sullivan Hall.

I suggest everyone go there at least once to add a little sweetness to their life. We could all use some after midterm week.

Waffle Wednesday anybody?