Queens International Night Market

Take a small trip across the world for a night or two

The Queens International Night Market is a large, family-friendly open-air night market in Queens, featuring independent vendors selling merchandise, art and food. There are small-scale cultural performances and entertainment, all celebrating the rich cultural diversity and heritage of New York City and Queens.

The opening night for the festival took place on Saturday April 23 and was situated right near the Queens Hall of Science. For those of you who don’t spend much time in Corona, it is by The Unisphere that you pass by while driving on the Van Wyck Expressway.

The Facebook event for the market’s opening night boasted an attending list of 37,000 people, which did not appear to be an overstatement. The lines for any given vendor could have you waiting upwards of half an hour. There was a large variety of cuisines being offered such as grilled Korean style squid and fried mac and cheese bites. As you walk around with your tasty snack, you’re encouraged to peruse through stalls set up by local artists who are displaying one-of-a-kind cultural works such as sculptures of Frida Kahlo.

There are also plenty of vendors who sell unique pieces of jewelry and clothing pieces. If shopping isn’t your thing, you can grab your food and head on over to the live music playing on an open lawn just behind the market. Due to the large amount of foot traffic, it was impossible to cover the entire market. There did not appear to be nearly enough space to accommodate the turn out, but hopefully that can be chalked up to the fact that it was opening night. Even when leaving, there were droves of people entering.

The market will be open on Saturday evenings until late August. If you love exotic food and experiencing different cultures then the Queens International Night Market is definitely a worthwhile stop to make and is perfect for a group outing, family gathering, a casual date or even a solo journey. Just make sure you take public transportation or good luck finding parking.