St. John’s’ biggest spring event

Students take a break from finals and enjoy the sun at the carnival

There was a cool breeze tying itself around the carnival rides placed on the Great Lawn. The sun was slapping it’s heat onto the belly of the concrete and the backs of students standing in line. Cargo shorts with prickly hair, skirts as colorful as modern art masterpieces, sunglasses with reflections of clouds etched into their shades. The wind flung itself gently on torsos, to the appreciation of the people it embraced. Inside of the Great Lawn, there were vivacious displays seizing all attention; from the sunbathers, to the students rushing to and from class, none were spared the sight of smiling faces and rides- a picturesque scene straight out of an amusement park.

The Spring Carnival was an event given to the students as an opportunity to hang out and meet with people as well as unwind from classes. “It was an end of the year celebration for all the students, filled with relay games, rides, and an opportunity to have fun with new and old friends,” says Cathy Sheehan, president of the Student Programming Board. Ms. Sheehan stood with her team in the midst of the vivid crowd of mixed faces and orchestrated the fair on the ground, making sure everything was operating at peak performance.

The Spring Carnival was an event hosted for the students as an opportunity to hang out and meet with people as well as unwind from classes.

“It was an end of the year celebration for all the students, filled with relay games, rides, and an opportunity to have fun with new and old friends,” said Cathy Sheehan, president of the Student Programming Board.  Sheehan stood with her team in the midst of the vivid crowd of mixed faces and orchestrated the fair on the ground, making sure everything was operating at peak performance.

Rides ranging from a Wipeout inspired structure, to swinging ships littered the Great Lawn with great vividness. There were carts set up with different foods, such as hot dogs, ice cream, cotton candy and popcorn, all with long lines stretching across the lawn.

“One of the negatives was definitely the long lines. You can only get on one ride or get one snack before you have to go back to class,” said Dylan Roake, a Homeland Security major going on a “study break” at the carnival.

“It was a lit experience, I felt extremely immersed in the St. John’s culture and entirely welcomed by the community,” said Amber Hatcher, a freshman who, until the carnival, hadn’t experimented with the types of activities which acted as the glue which brought together the student body.

Jillian Gratzer moved sluggishly toward the Lawn, having drained herself of all energy as the semester winds down. “I just needed a fun break from all my finals,” she said, taking sporadic sips of her iced coffee as her gaze lazily traced the shadows casted by the sun. The first thing you could see when walking toward St. John’s Hall is the long line and the rides, such as the ferris wheel and a swinging boat.

After getting off the ferris wheel, Ashlyn Roberto said, “it was exciting to see everyone so engaged with each other, especially at such a stressful time during the semester.”

The positives ultimately outweighed the negatives, and the Spring Carnival, with its rides, concessions and smiles, was a success for the student body.

“The best part was the llama,” said Julianna DiBattista.

“That was an alpaca” replied another student.