Turner Wins Election; No-Show at Candidate Forum

Republican Bob Turner was declared winner of New York’s ninth congressional district late last night.

Representative-elect Turner will replace Democrat Anthony Weiner, who resigned in May after posting sexually suggestive photographs on his Twitter account.

Although Turner did not attend, his Democratic opponent David Weprin along with District 27 contenders Democrat Michael Simanowitz and Republican Marco DeSena met at the Law School last Thursday to state their platforms and answer questions from those in attendance.

Approximately 40 people were present at the panel, including faculty members, students and NY1’s Jon Weinstein.

Sophomore Elizabeth Sheehan was one of the panelists at the event. “The big problem with elections is the lack of the youth vote,” Sheehan said. “It’s great for the University’s image to see future politicians acknowledging St. John’s as an integral part of the community.”

Hannah Pribek, vice president of College Democrats, was surprised by the event’s turnout, which was scheduled the same night as President Obama’s jobs speech and the NFL season opener. “It’s impressive to get this many people when St. John’s isn’t technically in the [27] district,” Pribek said.

The special elections come after Congressman Anthony Weiner, the longtime representative of the district, resigned this summer after a frenzied scandal. Weiner had served as the 9 District’s congressman since 1999, succeeding long time former-Congressman Charles Schumer. Weiner spoke at a similar forum in the Law School this past October, when he running for re-election against Turner. The Torch originally reported on Weiner’s appearance at the University, where he was heckled by Turner supporters during his remarks.

Turner’s victory marks the first time a Republican congressman has held the ninth district since 1923.

Turner supports major tax cuts and opposes the current health care bill, according to his campaign website.

His biography on the site also says he has spent his entire life within the ninth district.

Turner formerly worked in the communications business, holding high ranking positions in several major corporations.

Simanowitz also defeated DeSena to capture District 27’s seat. The seat had previously been held by Nettie Mayersohn.

Former-Representative Mayersohn, also a Democrat, had retired from her seat this April.