Presidential Search Committee interviews more than 160 candidates

The St. John’s Presidential Search Committee has identified more than 160 candidates and an unspecified number have been asked to get interviewed, according to an email sent out by the University on Monday.

The committee expressed its gratitude to the University community, saying that the input it received so far has been key to keeping the process moving in the right direction.

The candidates have been identified through nominations to the University website, advertisements in various higher education publications and outreach efforts conducted by Bill Funk, the Committee’s search consultant.

Input for potential candidates was collected in focus groups and through feedback on the presidential search website.  The committee also released the Presidential Leadership Statement in early December and asked members of the St. John’s community to recommend potential candidates.

The deadline for submitting applications was Jan. 30, and the Committee met throughout January and February to discuss and evaluate the submissions.  Candidates were narrowed down to those whose experience and qualifications most closely align with the attributes outlined in the Leadership Statement, according to the email.

A select number of candidates have now been invited to participate in interviews with the Committee.  After interviews take place, the Committee will then recommend candidates to the Board of Trustees for further evaluation.

The Committee’s email also stated  that the chosen candidate pool  is full of strong individuals who are both lay and religious persons.

Candidates have held notable leadership positions in the past, including those of sitting presidents, deans and provosts, the email said.

The Committee said it will continue to inform the University community with any further updates pertaining to the search.