Spring Fling Carnival helps students relax before finals

This year’s Spring Week included a student favorite: the Spring Fling Carnival, which was held on Friday.  Students gathered on the Great Lawn to enjoy the free rides, activities and food.

The Carnival included traditional rides, such as a Ferris wheel, slides, bumper cars, a swing carousel and bungee jumping, among several others.  Students also enjoyed Instagram and Vine photobooths, as well as tents with free merchandise and free, traditional carnival food.

Sophomore Chris Louis said that his favorite parts of the carnival were the bumper cars and taking photos in the Instagram booth.

“The carnival is good, it’s fun, and it’s good to see everyone gathered out here enjoying the beautiful day,” Louis said.

Many students agree that the carnival is a good way to bring the St. John’s community together.

Freshman Moira Shannon said, “I like seeing more people out, and seeing the whole community coming out.  It’s a cool tradition.”

Spring Week gives students a chance to relax at the end of the spring semester before finals.

“Being able to relax and have some fun with my friends [at the carnival] before finals will help me do well.  The carnival is really fun,” freshman Allison Corralejo said.

When asked what possible improvements they would like to see, Shannon and freshman Victoria Bowlsbey both agreed that the carnival should be held for a longer period of time.

“A good time frame would be from 12 until 6, because of people’s schedules.  It should go into the night time so more people can come out,” Bowlsbey said.

This year’s carnival was a success, and a large portion of the St. John’s community came out to celebrate Spring Week before the start of finals.