University students march on campus in solidarity

On Wednesday, Nov. 26 students gathered to March for Ferguson to show solidarity for Michael Brown’s family and other protesters across the nation.

Current sophomore and co-president of Spectrum Aarika Miller was among the many students that attended the march.

“I think that the turnout was very great,” Miller said. “A lot of students actually came, which was shocking to me since Thanksgiving break already started.”

The march started in front of D’Angelo Center and proceeded past the St. John’s bookstore, around the Great Lawn, through the courtyards of the Residence Village and down Lourdes Way before heading to the 169th Street Subway station towards Union Square.

“I definitely think that it brought good feedback,” Miller said.

“As we were marching around campus, quite a bit of students saw us and decided to march with us.”

“Even while we were heading to Union Square, where the protest was taking place, people were cheering,” Miller said.

“They thought it was great that St John’s University students, and a young group of people were marching and protesting.”

On Monday, Nov. 24, the grand jury in St. Louis declined to indict officer Darren Wilson on the death of Michael Brown. Following the announcement, protesters began to take the streets in Ferguson and other cities across the U.S.

“Since many people across the U.S. are upset with the court’s decision, I think that this will make a very positive impact on our future. Because people (of all races) are upset and angry all across the nation, I think that cops will eventually not be able to get away with murder. If it was just the people of Ferguson that was upset, then I don’t think anything would change.”