State of the Union Address

President Obama at the 2011 State of the Union address. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

On the evening of Jan. 20, President Barack Obama delivered his State of the Union Address. He spoke heavily on the ongoing forward progression of healthcare, social justice controversy and economics.

The address began lightheartedly as President Obama cracked a joke about his lack of desire to sway votes for upcoming elections, as he had previously won both his presidential campaigns.

The President explained his past policies have worked and will continue to do so more easily without the interference of politics.

Prior to taking office, the President promised his country equal pay, equal work act for women, rewards to businesses that invest within the U.S. rather than offshore, an end to the Cuban embargo and to continue to fight terrorism.  Most notably was his commitment to pass a bill of resolution on using force against ISIS.

Freshman Kenneth Davis said, “I think Obama was over-confident in his mannerisms and it was not necessarily justified according to his policies during the latter half of his administration.”

While our president has improved the economics of the country since the Great Recession, his statements appeared to be more grandiose than the fact of the matter.  He stated that deficits have been cut by two-thirds, the stock market has doubled and the economy is growing at its fastest rate over the past decade with 11 million new jobs.

On closer examination, the majority of jobs created were low-paying retail and restaurant jobs, which replaced high paying construction and manufacturing jobs.

President Obama did not fail to mention his power to veto.  He explained his lack of mercy to withhold veto to a bill that stands in the way of cuts in healthcare, fights the current immigration policy or threatens social justice.

The President summarized, “The shadow of crisis has passed and the State of the Union is strong.”