Make-up class dates announced

Because of the recent weather-related closures, the University has announced that Monday classes will be held on Tuesday, May 5, which was previously designated as Study Day.

An email sent to faculty and administration last week cites New York State Education Department regulations as the main catalyst behind the schedule change.

Since the University was closed on Monday, Jan. 26 and Tuesday, Jan. 27 and partially closed on Monday, Feb. 2, the hours of missed class time on Mondays must be made up in order for credit to be awarded.

Classes that ordinarily meet on Mondays and Thursdays will meet on May 5 at their normal time and place, unless otherwise notified.

Undergraduate classes that meet only on Monday “and have exceeded allowable missed class time” will also meet on May 5 at the regularly scheduled place and time.

Laboratory classes that meet on Mondays will also have make-up sessions on May 5.

Classes that have only missed one meeting–namely classes that meet between 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Mondays and thus were not canceled on Feb. 2–do not need to be made up.

Tuesday classes have not yet exceeded the allotted amount of missed time and have not been rescheduled, the announcement said.

A University representative said in an email that students who have questions or concerns about the revised schedule should speak directly to their faculty members as soon as possible.

The University protocol in this situation is for individual faculty members to inform their respective classes of makeup sessions, to avoid confusion, Media Relations said.