J. Cole comes to campus for Spring Concert

The spring concert is back this year, and the special guest is hip hop artist J. Cole.

Haraya, the Pan-African Students Coalition, released a short, 15-second video on Tuesday, March 24, announcing the return of former St. John’s student turned successful Roc Nation artist J. Cole. The announcement was released with the headline “J.Cole’s Homecoming Concert: The Real Is Back”.

A link to a 32-second video on YouTube was posted via Twitter. The link has gained traction, with over 150 retweets. Several of St. John’s group Twitter accounts retweeted both the link and the video.

The spring concert this year is only for St. John’s students and alumni. The private concert will be hosted on April 9 at 7 p.m., and will be co-hosted by Haraya and SGI.

There was not a formal spring concert last year.

Tickets go on sale March 30 at 9 a.m. and will be sold for a few days after. The cost is $5 for current students and $20 for alumni.

St. John’s students have been expressing excitement about the recent announcement by using the hashtags that both the St. John’s and Haraya Twitter handles have been using: #WelcomeBackJCole, #StormCardsOnly, #HarayaMusicFest15 and #SJU.

Current Haraya President Terrell Romeo, a senior, said that Haraya is excited to have J. Cole on campus. He explained “[J. Cole] fits what Haraya represents. His music and his message and what he does is the perfect example of a Harayan.

J. Cole was once the president of Haraya, according to Romeo.

J.Cole’s hit songs include the songs “Work Out,” “No Role Modelz” and the album “2014 Forest Hills Drive.”

Romeo said that the process to get J.Cole to come to campus wasn’t as difficult as it would seem.

“I wouldn’t say necessarily he was hard to get, it was more of once we made contact with the right people, it just looked definite,” he said.