Boston bomber faces death penalty

21-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found guilty on all 30 counts related to the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing by a Boston jury on Wednesday, April 8.

The tragedy resulted in four deaths, including the death of Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier and the injuries of more than 260 marathoners and bystanders.

Tsarnaev’s conviction came almost two years after the event that shook the city of Boston.

The long process was a result of the emotional controversy of the case, including the possible death penalty for which Tsarnaev is now eligible.

Tsarvaev’s qualification for the death penalty continues to be an ongoing debate.

Tsarnaev and his lawyers tried profusely to place most of the blame of the attacks on his deceased brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The jury still held his brother, Dzhokhar, accountable for the crimes.

Tsarnaev’s conviction has been a sign of good news for many people affected by the attack and also for people across the country.

Senior AnnMarie Russo said, “The conviction of Tsarnaev brings peace and justice to families and to the community of Boston. It brings people together in a way that shows that we are resilient.”

Senior Marlisa Perry supported the jury’s decision of convicting Tsarnaev, stating, “I think that justice needs to be served to the victims of that bombing. It was a conscious decision on his part to carry out the attack that led to hundreds of people injured. I think the families affected by this tragedy will be pleased.”

Since Tsarnaev’s guilty convictions now make him eligible for the death penalty, the penalty trial will resume on Tuesday, April 21.