Bill Cosby arrested on long-awaited charge

Years after allegations arose in the public eye, 78-year-old comedian Bill Cosby was charged with sexual assault in a case over a decade old. This is the first time Cosby has been charged, despite the allegations made from over 50 other women.

The once comedian and television icon has been charged with second-degree aggravated indecent assault, according to USA Today.

Sophomore Ariana Ureña believes that justice is finally being served for Cosby’s many alleged victims.

“It’s justice because often times men and women are taught to be quiet about the sexual assault that they face,” she said. And it teaches them that, if they are honest, with time the person who has caused their hurt and suffering can be put behind bars.”

Cosby is indicted for the sexual assault and drugging of Andrea Constand. The alleged incident occurred after she visited his Philadelphia home in 2004. According to CNN, she was the first accuser to publicly speak up. Investigators filed an affidavit, which determined Cosby intended to “incapacitate” Constand by giving her a variety of pills and alcohol.

He was arraigned in a Pennsylvania courthouse in late December. After a ten-minute long hearing, Cosby then proceeded to Cheltenham Police Department for booking.

Since his arraignment, junior Samantha MacDonald’s view of the comedian has changed entirely.

“I used to love watching ‘The Cosby Show’ as a kid, so hearing about these allegations and learning that he was arrested is shocking,” she said. “Now, part of my childhood is ruined.”

Cosby pleaded not guilty and was released after posting a one million dollar bail bond.

CNN states that prosecutors in 2005 dismissed to file charges due to an insufficient amount of evidence. Now, after heavy observation of the 2004 evidence, prosecutors are going forward with the charges.

Ureña agrees with the decision.

“That helps them feel a bit safer in their day-to-day lives,” she said. “They know they won’t be attacked and others won’t be attacked.”