St. John’s Student killed at Carnival

FACEBOOK
St. John’s graduate student, Tiarah Poyau, 22 years old, was killed last month. The University announced that it will hold a memorial mass in her honor next Wednesday.

On Monday morning, Tiarah Poyau, a student at St. John’s University, was fatally shot in the face during the J’Ouvert Carnival, according to the New York Police Department.

Several news outlets reported that Poyau and her friends were at the carnival celebrating West Indian and Caribbean heritage in the United States when the celebration took a turn for the worse.

According to police, the shooting took place at 4:15 a.m. on Franklin Ave. and Empire Blvd in Brooklyn.

Emergency Medical Services (EMS) responded to the incident and immediately transported her to the Kings County Hospital where police say she was pronounced dead.

On Tuesday, NYPD arrested the suspected gunman, Regenald Moise. Moise, 20 years old, was arrested at  15 Westminster Road in Brooklyn Avenue. Moise is now facing charges for second degree murder, criminal possession of weapon to the second degree and reckless endangerment.  

However, NYPD Chief Patrick Conrey said investigators suspect Poyau was not the intended target.

A Brooklyn resident, Poyau was an aspiring Certified Public Accountant, pursuing a dual degree B.S./M.S. in The Peter J. Tobin College of Business, according to a statement released by the University on Monday night.

“She had a bright future ahead of her and was taken much too soon,” said the statement from President Gempesaw, “The entire University community sends our thoughts and prayers to the Poyau family during this difficult time.”

The University released another statement Tuesday morning regarding Grief Counseling for those who’ve been affected by Poyau’s untimely passing. According to the University’s statement, Grief Counseling was offered yesterday at the Center for Counseling and Consultation at the D’Angelo Center.

You may also visit stjohns.edu/sjuresponds in order to get more resources for students, faculty and families who need help grieving.

On LinkedIn, Poyau expressed that studying abroad in Paris, Rome and Seville was one of her greatest achievements.

She wrote, “Apart from being able to get away for a while, I was given the opportunity to push my limits and be responsible for my personal growth and development.”

Poyau was a member of  Beta Alpha Psi  and served as the Fundraising Chair in 2014-15 and as Secretary for Fall 2015, according to a statement released by them.

“She was a classmate and a friend for many of us,” said the statement from Beta Alpha Psi , “Our hearts and prayers are with her family and loved ones during this difficult time.”

In the same night, a 17-year-old boy was shot and murdered, a 72-year-old woman was shot in the arm, four other people were injured in three different shootings and someone was stabbed, according to Pix11 News.

In a press conference held Monday afternoon about the violence-stricken night, Mayor Bill de Blasio said, “We never accept violence in our midst. Last night there was violence that was fundamentally unacceptable and that we will continue to assess more forcefully.”