Employment Fair offers student jobs

Students+attended+the+annual+Employment+Fair+in+Carnesecca+Arena+on+Thursday+in+order+to+find+out+what+job+opportunities+the+school+had+to+offer.+
TORCH PHOTO/LAUREN FINEGAN
Students attended the annual Employment Fair in Carnesecca Arena on Thursday in order to find out what job opportunities the school had to offer.

The lobby of Carnesecca Arena was filled with students and their soon-to-be employers this past Thursday as St. John’s held its fifth annual Employment Fair. The students were swiped into the event and navigated the area full of tables, stopping to talk with an employer from a department that appealed to them.

Some may have noticed that the event was held earlier than normal this year. “We moved the event up to the first week of class instead of the second so students could get employed and working faster,” said Joni O’Hagan, Director of Career Development.

Over 40 departments and local business partners were present at the fair, on the hunt for new student employees.

A new addition to the list was the University Writing Center. The center, according to student employee Danielle Rouse, previously obtained many of its employees through professors who made their good writers apply.

Another department present was Printing and Distribution.

“At the beginning of the year we get really busy,” said department student employee Walter Astudillo about the influx of packages they receive. “It helps get people started at the beginning of the year and is a help with that rush of packages.”

Employees from both the Writing Center and Printing and Distribution agreed that the fair was a good way to branch out and find new students to employ.

New freshmen, on the other hand, seem to share a collective opinion regarding the amount of jobs available.

“I thought that the employment fair was okay. There were not many opportunities for people who do not have work-study,” said freshman Julianna Rivera. “I do not have [work-study] and because of that I do not think I will be able to find a job.”

“Overall it was good but I think that they need to gear it towards more than just work-study. There are students without work-study that need to make money,” said freshman Catherine Vitale.

Despite the seemingly overwhelming opinion that the fair was too focused on work-study, O’Hagan said that “There seems to be less jobs available for non work-study students, but in reality it is roughly 50-50.”

Local business partners that participated in the employment fair included Chartwells, New York Community Bank, the SJU Bookstore, State Farm, and the Laura A. Browne Insurance Agency Inc.

A few departments involved in the fair include America Reads, School of Risk Management, College of Professional Studies Dean’s Office, Gear Up, and International Student Services.