County Clerk Refuses Marriage License

On June 26, 2015, people all over the country rejoiced as the United States Supreme Court ruled that the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right for same-sex couples to marry in all 50 states. Although hundreds of thousands of people celebrated this historic day, many people were upset by this and still believed it to be wrong.

This could be said for Kim Davis, a Kentucky county clerk who refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. As a result, she was arrested and found in contempt of court when she refused to authorize her employees to issue marriage licenses for same-sex couples stating that God’s law trumps the court’s.

Although Davis believes that she is a “vessel that God has chosen,” she has no right to dictate who should and should not be allowed to marry. She does not have the right to force her beliefs upon others.

Fortunately, the courts feel the same way and are not taking this situation lightly. Judge David L. Bunning is the judge presiding over this case and issued a statement saying, “If you give people the opportunity to choose which orders they follow, that’s what potentially causes problems.”

The Supreme Court made the decision that same-sex marriage is guaranteed in the Constitution and, as an employee of the government, Davis should abide by this ruling and issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, even if they contradict her personal beliefs.

The first amendment guarantees the right to free speech, but it does not state that someone has the right to dictate who is allowed to get married based solely on their personal beliefs. Davis is passing judgment on people who she knows nothing about besides their sexual orientation.

Once Davis issues marriage licenses to these couples, she will no longer have any involvement in their lives and therefore she should not take it upon herself to stand in the way of their happiness. I think that Davis should not allow her personal beliefs to flood into her professional life, especially to this extreme. She cannot force anyone to believe the same things as her and should stop trying.