Spend your summer at an internship

“So what do you want to do?”

The question is more than likely one that has caused you to realize that, maybe, you don’t know yet. But it is a popular question, often resting on the tongues of anyone remotely curious to know more about you.

Being in college means that you will figure it out to some extent. But as I have learned in my first year at college, an undergraduate education can benefit from the supplementation of some type of professional experience.

Yes, I am here to make the case for The Summer Internship.

Why would you want to give up a summer of traveling, fun in the sun and relaxation for one filled with more work? I mean, that is precisely what we are excited to abandon for a few months between school years.

The fact, however, is that you do not have to give up any of that.

Internships are dynamic and are available in a variety of industries. Many of them have the option of being part-time, are paid well, and they give you a unique professional experience.

f you are someone who does not want to be completely engulfed in interning but still wants to get some type of field-experience, the part-time internship is for you.

This type of internship is quite flexible with hours and days (usually about 20-25 hours tops for a week). That still gives you a good deal of time relax.

Looking for a job over the summer to help you with you expenses? Opt for a paid internship instead of a job in retail.

Not only will you get paid, you will be gaining valuable experiences in the professional area you might hope to be a part of one day.

It is a great way to get your foot through the door while making some cash on the side, as paid internships often have better compensation.

If you aren’t sure whether or not an internship is available in your area of interest, know that there more than likely is. Whether it’s fashion, design, computer science, human resources, or marketing, it’s there.

The office of Career Services is a great place to start if you want to polish your resume, get interview tips, or find job prospects. But if you are more independent like me, you might find LinkedIn’s job search section to be very helpful.

There are at least twenty new job postings on LinkedIn every day, ranging in type, compensation, and industry.

My internships both last semester and this semester I actually found through LinkedIn. As a result, I have gotten a better grasp on what it is I want to study and do going forward (Development Economics).

I could not have known that without the experiences I had at my internships.

Figuring out what you want to do can be tedious, but The Summer Internship may be helpful in narrowing down your interests.