Season Finale Ends In Defeat

MICHAEL OKONIEWSKI

The St. John’s women’s soccer team put the proverbial period on its season Saturday, losing 3-0 to a tough Syracuse squad
at SU Soccer Stadium.

Seniors Runa Stefansdottir, along with Megan Klement, Meredeth Kenyon and Kathy Gualotuna all played their final match in a Red Storm (6-10-1, 2-7-1) shirt.

Stefansdottir and Klement were regular contributors during their time in Queens, the former providing an offensive spark while the latter anchored the defense. The two will be missed dearly.

“This year had many ups and downs,” said St. John’s head coach Ian Stone in a press release. “We were grateful for the players who stepped up to fill the positions when we needed them. We are thankful for our seniors and their families for all the dedication and hard work they have put in over the years with our program. They were a part of our first-ever NCAA Tournament as just freshmen and their efforts will be missed.”

The score may not accurately dictate the competitiveness of the game, particularly due to the timing of the goals.

Syracuse (9-6-2, 6-3-1) scored in the second minute when Erin Simon tallied her fourth goal of the season. Then, within the last five minutes of regulation, Rosina Callisto notched her second of the year and Alyscha Mottershead her fifth, respectively.

Syracuse lead in shots 16-6, but the Red Storm defense and keeper were able to stymie the attack for the majority of the match.

Runa Stefansdottir attempted to find an early equalizer but was unable to put away opportunities in the tenth and 14 minute.

The Johnnies’ freshman goalkeeper Ellen Conway edged Syracuse’s Brittany Anghel in saves, 4-2, but Anghel was able to notch the shutout while Conway, who stayed tough throughout the majority of the match after allowing an early goal, faltered in the final minutes.

The only yellow card of the game was shown to St. John’s Sarah Ashmore.