Injury-Plagued Weekend

The No. 17/15 St. John’s women’s basketball team fell to Boston University on Saturday 66-49 in their first game since senior Eugeneia McPherson tore her ACL.

Despite the loss, head coach Joe Tartamella is confident about his team’s performances thus far this season.

“We’re off to a good start,” Tartamella said. “We want to see progress every game, but it’s hard week to week in trying to stay healthy. Injuries are part of the game.”

Besides McPherson being ruled out for the rest of the season after an ACL injury procured last week against Hartford, fellow senior Nadirah McKenith dressed but did not see court time due to back spasms.

Tartamella insists that his team has the ability to overcome their early season setbacks.

“We will prepare [for the rest of the season] like any other injury,” he said. “The emergence of Briana Brown and Keylantra Langley will help. Freshmen will need to step up, but Eugeneia will continue to be a leader.”

The Terriers (5-3) began the game with a frenzied pace and did not look back after heading into halftime with a 34-18 lead.

Boston held the Red Storm’s (4-2) leading scorer, senior guard Shenneika Smith, to just nine points. The outing was a season low for Smith, as she averages 20.8 points per game on the season.

Sophomore forward Amber Thompson scored a team best 11 points for the Johnnies, adding eight rebounds. This was her first double-digit scoring performance of the season.

The Terriers leading scorer, senior guard Chantell Alford, dominated from beyond the arc, picking up 22 points, going 6 for 7 from the 3-point range. Three of her six three pointers came in the first half. Boston’s Danielle Callahan came up big in the second half and finished with a total of 14 points.

The Johnnies will take on Duke next in the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 9. The game will be a re-match of last year’s Sweet 16.