Inconsistent Johnnies Excited About Return Home

It’s been a struggle for the St. John’s baseball team early on this season, but the team took a step in the right direction after taking two out of three at Radford.

Every Red Storm (3-11) starting position player got a hit in Sunday’s game.

“We saw some good things but were extremely inconsistent,” said St. John’s head coach Ed Blankmeyer. “Hopefully the weather warms up and the field is in good shape, we’re excited to be back home.”

After reaching the Super Regional’s along with winning the Big East last year, expectations were high coming into the 2013 season. However, after losing key bats to the MLB Draft such as Jeremy Baltz (Padres) and Matt Wessinger (Rockies), it hasn’t been an easy road for the Johnnies.

The one player who has really stepped up his game in the absence of Baltz and Wessinger has been junior Martin Kelly. After batting .232 last season, Kelly has really stepped his game up.

“The guy who is playing the most consistent for us is Martin Kelly,” Blankmeyer said.

Kelly, who had six hits in the Radford series, has been a key contributor in the Red Storm’s outfield early on this season.

The Johnnies return home to play Fordham on Tuesday after their long road trip to start the year. The team will spend a lot more time at Jack Kaiser Stadium starting with its six game home stand.

The Red Storm will also get to play Stonybrook at Citi Field but coach Blankmeyer believes that won’t put any added pressure on his team.

“We are playing in a major league ballpark but that’s all it is, we are playing in a lot of different ballparks, minor league complexes. It’s something to remember but it’s not a big deal,” he said.

With over 40 games left in the college baseball regular season, there is still plenty of time for the Johnnies to make up some ground and turn this into another memorable season.