Women draw a blank against Creighton

Athletic Communications
St. John’s held new BigEast rival Creighton scoreless through double-overtime.

The St. John’s women’s soccer team had countless opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net on Sunday afternoon versus the Creighton Bluejays, but nothing they did seemed to work; the final score would be a 0-0 draw.

The Red Storm (7-1-2, 1-0-1) battled all afternoon with the Blue Jays (7-3-1, 0-1-0) and it looked as though the Johnnies were dominating all afternoon and would come away with a victory but they just capitalize on all of the chance that presented themselves.

“I want the team to play aggressive like we did today, even though we weren’t able to get the results we wanted,” head coach Ian Stone said. “I think we should have been able to finish some of the chances we had, but that was due to Creighton playing their socks off and it says a lot about their program.”

The Red Storm’s standout freshman keeper, Diana Poulin, was kept out of the net on Sunday afternoon after sustaining an injury during Thursday’s warm-ups. Stone was left with sophomore Ellen Conway, who had an impressive performance.

“She played great today.” Stone said.

The game got tense in the second half as Caitlyn McLaughlin received a yellow card; McLaughlin and Blue Jay goalie Danielle Rice bumped chests and said a few words to one another.

“I know Caitlyn and a bunch of our girls are really passionate in the way they play,” Stone said. “I know the girls really want to win, but we have to show that passion in the way we play.”

The Lady Storm challenged the Creighton goalie, constantly on the afternoon shooting the ball from every way imaginable. But Rice was able to stop every ball shot her way.

St. John’s played fast and aggressive with the ball, controlling the ball for the majority of the afternoon versus Creighton. With Rachel Daly getting behind the Blue Jay backline on multiple occasions, and Amy Marron’s shots on goal on a header in the first half and her shot from inside the six-yard box in the second, the Johnnies had multiple opportunities to score throughout the day.

St. John’s will continue Big East play on the road against preseason conference favorite Marquette on Thursday, Oct. 3rd