SJU draws against ‘Nova, loses Daly

The St. John’s women’s soccer team and its fans held their breath Saturday night as forward Rachel Daly went down with a bruise on her left leg and had to be helped off the field in the 1-1 double overtime draw against Villanova. Daly is day-to-day.

Daly has been hot all season, but has been targeted on several occasions throughout the year, and head coach Ian Stone said he believes that the officials should’ve kept an eye on his star.

“I would hope that officials would protect her,” Stone said. “It’s sometimes infuriating that officials don’t do their homework and know that’s how teams are going to try and deal with her.”

After an eventless first 45 minutes, the second half started with a bang when the Red Storm (7-3-3, 1-2-2) got on the board in the 48 minute after Daly headed home a Sarah Ashmore cross. The goal was Daly’s 15th of the season – which placed her second on the St. John’s single season scoring list and tied her for first in goals scored nationally.

Villanova (5-6-3, 2-2-1) came right back with the equalizer a minute later when a high, floating shot from Hayley Wilson bounced over St. John’s goalkeeper Diana Poulin’s head.

Despite the Johnnies’ positive play during the remainder of the second half and overtime, a crucial second goal was never scored.

“[This game] would have been more frustrating if we weren’t creating opportunities; we were finding different ways to get chances,” Stone said. “For example, when Marisa Ammaturo stepped up in overtime, that was something we haven’t seen yet this season.”

The Red Storm will play next at Big East rival Georgetown Thursday afternoon.

“I love the challenge and we have a bunch of girls that will welcome that,” Stone said. “It’s obviously going to be a difficult game. They [Georgetown] are a fantastic team, but we are a pretty good team, too.”