Daly ties Burtis, Tinari nets golden goal

St. John’s pulled out the come from behind victory Sunday afternoon, 3-2, over the Providence Friars due to late heroics from Rachel Daly and Morgan Tinari.

After the Johnnies’ slow first half start, Daly erupted with 2 goals to send them into overtime.  Daly’s historic goal in the 89th minute tied the school record for goals in a single season with 17.  Tinari’s goal in the 97th minute clinched the victory.

St. John’s (8-4-3) has had a tough time on the road this season and Sunday was no different trailing 1-0 after the first half.  Providence (5-8-3) scored early thanks to Lauren Elia’s goal in the 10th minute that put the Lady Johnnies in an early hole.  After Daly’s first goal in the 68th minute tied it up, Providence struck right back with a goal from Catherine Zimmerman in the 76th minute.

“The team dug in there pretty hard and stuck together as a group after falling behind twice in the game,” said head coach Ian Stone.  “Resilient was really the best word to describe it and their belief in each other.”

A change of strategy at half time was a big factor in the overtime victory, but Stone gives thanks to his team’s execution in the comeback victory.

“We switched the system, we went to a 4-3-3 which moves the forwards up and that’s how we scored those three goals,” Stone said.  “I give the credit to the girls because they kept the pressure on them.”

Daly’s late heroics etched her name into the record books tying Cristin Burtis’ single season record with 17 goals.  Daly’s historic play this season has everyone appreciating what she has accomplished so far this season. “I haven’t coached a player like Rachel,” Stone said.  “She can score in so many ways and she can do it when the games on the line.”

The Lady Johnnies will play another crucial Big East Conference game Saturday, Oct. 26th against Seton hall at Belson Stadium.  The Red Storm will be looking for their first back-to-back wins against Big East opponents this season.