Daly has BIG week for women’s soccer

The St. John’s women’s soccer team starts the 2014 season with a 3-1 record as junior forward Rachael Daly was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll for her brilliant performance over the last three games off August.

After earning the titles of Big East Offensive Player and Newcomer of the Year last season, Daly continued to lead the Johnnies by delivering two goals, including the game-winning goal in overtime to defeat the Delaware Blue Hens 2-1 on Aug. 29.

Just two days after facing Central Connecticut State, Daly responded by registering her fourth goal of the season in a 2-0 victory. In the start of the first four games, Daly has a total of four goals.

Throughout her first season as a sophomore last year, Daly concluded arguably the greatest individual season in St. John’s women’s soccer history; she tied as the nation’s leading scorer, broke the St. John’s single-season record (23) goals and also set the program’s record for most points in a season (50). Additionally, Daly became the first-ever student athlete in program history to be named an All-American by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America after earning second team honors. She helped guide the Red Storm to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.