Volleyball Wins Jack Keiser Classic

QUEENS, NY—The St. John’s volleyball team continued its dominance at home by snagging the Jack Kaiser Volleyball Classic title at Carnesecca Arena this weekend.

Rebounding from a difficult tournament in Hawai’i last week where they finished 1-2, The Red Storm (8-3) reignited the fire they started the season with by finishing the tournament 3-1.  Senior Aleksandra Wachowicz was crowned Tournament MVP for her commanding performance in the clinching match against Fresno State, in which she had 22 kills and a .444 attacking percentage. Junior Deniz Mutlugil and senior Ashley Boursiquot were named to the All-Tournament Team for their efforts as well.

Although the Johnnies dropped their first match of the tournament to Dartmouth (6-1) on Friday, they did not go down quietly. After dominating the Big Green in the first set by a score of 25-10, St. John’s was beat 25-21 in a much closer second set. They won the next set 25-22, but dropped the following one 25-22. For the first time all season, the Johnnies were forced to play five sets in a match. Dartmouth prevailed with a score of 17-15.

However, that’s just about where the losing would end for the Red Storm. They swept New Hampshire (4-5) later in the day (25-16, 25-21, 25-19) in a match that Mutlugil would lead both sides of the court in with 38 assists, marking the sixth time this season she has had 35 or more in a match.

St. John’s would complete another sweep (25-11, 25-10, 25-20) the following morning against St. Francis (2-11), their sixth of the year. Junior Shawna-Lei Santos notched her first double-double of the season with 17 assists and 24 digs as the Red Storm rolled through with ease.

The Johnnies’ brooms were brought to a halt later that afternoon against Fresno State, settling for a 3-1 match victory. After snagging the first two sets to create an eight-set winning streak, the Bulldogs took advantage of a poor attacking performance from St. John’s, who had just a .103 hitting percentage as a team in the third set. However, they would never trail in the fourth set as the Red Storm won the match 25-21 and solidified their tournament victory.

Head coach Joanne Persico will take on her former player, 2006 graduate Caitlin Rimigalia, as she welcomes La Salle into Carnesecca Arena on Sept. 17.