Women’s Basketball Preview

Finishing with a record of 20-13 last season, D’Angelo Harrison and company look to shed their “bubble team” persona as preparations begin for the highly anticipated 2014-15 campaign.

The Red Storm will face familiar rivals on their quest to March Madness glory. These highlighted match-ups include home and away visits to Butler, Creighton, Duke, Georgetown, Providence, Syracuse, Villanova and Xavier.

“This very well could be the most challenging schedule of my tenure when considering the quality non-conference slate of games and the always challenging BIG EAST,” head coach Steve Lavin said.

The season officially tips off on Friday, Nov. 14, as the Red Storm welcomes NJIT to Carnesecca Arena. St. John’s is a perfect 3-0 against the Highlanders and looks to extend their winning streak in this year’s home opener.

An early season contest with Syracuse will undoubtedly provide old BIG EAST flashbacks. St. John’s extends a century-old rivalry against the Orange with a visit to the Carrier Dome on Saturday, Dec. 6. Once BIG EAST foes, the teams have met 88 times dating back to 1912.

St. John’s rekindles its rivalry with Duke at “The World’s Most Famous Arena” on Sunday, Jan. 25. In their last clash at MSG, the Red Storm triumphed with an impressive 93-78 victory over the No. 3 ranked Blue Devils. St. John’s also remains in select company as they are the last non-conference team to defeat Duke on its home floor (Feb. 26, 2000).

The season is then rounded out with a trip to Philadelphia where the Red Storm face Villanova at the Wells Fargo Center on Mar. 7.