Softball falls to Dartmouth, heads to Butler to open Big East

Burner and Free earn sports on Big East Weekly Honor Roll

On Thursday, March 19, the Red Storm were defeated by Dartmouth 5-2 in Queens, N.Y. It has been 11 consecutive days of being off the field for games since playing against Rhode Island at the JMU Dukes Invitational. This past weekend, the softball team was supposed to go into back-to-back play against DePaul, but due to the low weather conditions, the three games were cancelled as they weren’t able to play their first conference games.

Lexi Robles was St. John’s first runner of the game, reaching first base on a walk. Then Krystal Puga got a hit to right center putting two base runners on with one out.  Following Puga, Erin Burner hit a sacrifice fly to deep center, scoring Robles for St. John’s first run of the game 1-0.

Five innings later after a pitching battle between the Red Storm and Big Green, Dartmouth was able to take advantage in the top six according to the press release. Thanks to Burner, St. John’s was able to make a comeback towards the bottom half as she hit a solo shot deep over the right-center fence tying them for 2-2.

Dartmouth was able to make three runs on only two hits after both teams were still tied until after the eighth inning leading the Big Green 5-2. After not playing for 11 games straight, the team did well as they combined with all four pitchers, including Tori Free who pitched well her third-inning start. Then McKenzie Murray allowed only one hit in the two innings she played, while Grace Kramer gave up a pair of runs on only one hit in her inning, according to the press release.

This weekend, St. John’s will head over to Butler to play back-to-back for their first conference games of the season.