Track and field captain takes final bow

Track and field captain takes final bow
Photo Credit: Athletic Communications

Standing at five-foot-four, Natasha Amazan generates power twice her size. As a senior shot putter, Amazan anchors the St. John’s women’s track and field team. As a four-year standout, Amazan has assumed the honor of captain, mentoring young teammates and pushing St. John’s towards excellence.

“As captain of the team, I have used my drive, determination and discipline to adapt quickly into this role, and I appreciate all the other opportunities that have been offered to me because of my personality,” Amazan said.

As a local of New Rochelle, Amazan earned her school’s Athlete of the Year award in 2010. She also went on to place sixth in the New York State Public High School Athletic Association meet in the shot put and discus. St. John’s took notice when Amazan finished 13th at the Nike Nationals in the weight throw event.

“After high school, I was approached by and visited many other colleges, but I felt extremely welcomed as soon as I walked on St. John’s campus,” Amazan said. “I was then greeted by coach Hurt and spent some time with my future teammates.”

Amazan would adapt quickly. As a freshman, she showed her potential for years to come. She won the NYU Gotham Cup with a shot put of 12.05 meters, an accomplishment never reached by a freshman. Her stellar rookie season ultimately earned her a spot at the Big East Championships.

Sophomore year was more of the same for Amazan. She took home an individual title at the Metropolitan Championships, shot putting a career-best 14.03 meters.  Invited to the Eastern Conference Athletic Conference, Amazan stepped up, finishing ninth with a throw of 13.59 meters.

“My most memorable moment of my St. John’s career was as a sophomore. It was at the outdoor ECACs at Princeton University where I threw my personal best in the shot put,” Amazan said.

Rewind to just last year when Amazan was a junior. By far her best year, she placed first in four major competitions: the Manhattan College Opener, the Bill Ward Invitational, the Princeton Women’s Quad and the Metropolitan Indoor Championships. Continuing to break personal bests, she finished the season with a 45.17-meter hammer throw at the UCF Black and Gold meet.

But, it’s not all about personal bests. In fact, Amazan’s career has been a ladder of personal feats, erasing previous records she set.

“Exceeding a personal best just makes me set the bar higher for myself,” Amazan said. “I never want to get to a place in my life where I am content and don’t want to achieve more.”

Amazan has rounded out her career at St. John’s with a smile. The door at her temporary home in Jamaica, Queens will always be open.

“St. John’s will always have a special place in my heart, I will always be a “Johnny” and it makes me smile when I say that,” Amazan said.