St. John’s defeats Hofstra at Huntington Country Club

The St. John’s women’s golf team defeated the Hofstra Pride, 3-2, in a dual-event at Huntington Country Club (par 70) in Huntington, New York, last Wednesday.

Senior Anna Kim, junior Saskia Sterud and freshman Kristy Beckwith all were victorious while redshirt sophomore Lindsey Oliva and first year talent Lydia Kim fell to their opponents.

The Johnnies dominated the number one slot thanks to Anna Kim, who notched a win against Jacquie Faldetta, 6&5. Kim supported a strong lead with half the match remaining when Faldetta elected to drop out due to injury.

Sterud, who finished tied for 19th in the Big East Championship last year, edged out Pride’s Victoria Snak by two strokes in the number two slot.

England native Kristy Beckwith recorded her first ever college win and the biggest margin of victory of the event with a 7&6 domination over Jai Ghuman. Beckwith played in the number three slot and showed impressive poise while she gained valuable experience for future match-ups.

Lindsey Oliva, who was placed in the number four slot, lost to Hofstra’s Amanda Bigger, 4&3, and her teammate, Lydia Kim, also lost to her number five slot counterpart, Andrew Neilson, in a tight head-to-head match.

This was biggest win of the season for St. John’s, as they previously played in two tournaments and finishing in the middle of the pack in both events.

At the beginning of September, St. John’s participated in the Towson Invitational, in Maryland, where the team ended Day One in 12th place and fell two spots in the standings to 14th on Day Two.

The Johnnies also took part in the Lady Bison Fall Classic at the Bucknell Golf Club in early September. Head coach Ambry Bishop led the team to a 7th place finish after Sterud (+8), Beckwith (+12) and Kim (+15) had strong final rounds.

St. John’s will move onto the Rutgers Women’s Invitational meet starting October 17 in Piscataway, New Jersey before ending the fall season with the St. John’s Women’s Intercollegiate tournament at The Saint Andrew’s Golf Club on October 26 and 27.