Courtside: 1-On-1 with Danaejah Grant

The Torch sits down with senior guard Danaejah Grant to discuss her future plans after her collegiate days are over, her final season and her hobbies off of the court.

The Torch:  Do you dream about playing in the WNBA?

Danaejah Grant: “Of course, I mean I worked my whole life to be at this point; to be able to set myself up to get to the next level. All the years I worked got me up to this point and I don’t want to stop now. It will be great if I were to get drafted.”

The Torch:  Which athletes inspire you?

Danaejah Grant: “Seimone Augustus, Carmelo Anthony, Maya Moore and Lebron James. I admire Lebron’s leadership. I admire Carmelo’s footwork. I admire Maya Moore’s effort that she brings every night and Seimone Augustus, with her game, I feel that we favor each other. So you know it’s just great to be able to look up to players who have already made it and try to follow in their footsteps.”

The Torch: Why did you choose St. John’s?

Danaejah Grant: “St. John’s is very family oriented, and I felt comfortable. You know, I’m a city girl, so this is the perfect place for me, and I just felt the love from the coaches. I felt this is a place that can make me better and could develop my game for the next level.”

The Torch: What do you dream of doing after you graduate?

Danaejah Grant: “Of course my degree and no more classes. But just to be able to further whatever my heart desires. Definitely going to play for the WNBA, but also to have a degree so that I can further whichever career I decide to go into.”

The Torch: What are you passionate about other than basketball?

Danaejah Grant: “I think just helping people. I really enjoy being able to help people. I really touched into that role this year with the freshmen coming in. They took a little longer to adjust to the college level, so just being at practice everyday. To help them understand little things here and there. It makes me feel really good about myself.”

The Torch: If you could send a message out to young athletes, what would it be?

Danaejah Grant: “I would say to never take anything for granted. There are a lot of players out here who don’t have the same opportunity that we do when we play in Division 1 basketball and to be in the position that we’re in. So if you have the opportunity, then never take it for granted. Go out there and be everything on the floor.”

The Torch: What should we expect to see from this year’s squad team goals?

Danaejah Grant: “Definitely to win Big East Championship; that’s one of our first goals. I hope everyone stays healthy. That’s one thing because we are a little short this year. But for everyone to just go out there and put everything on the floor. I’m hoping this chance is a big one for us and we just go all out. And I hope that everyone who is not in our position, because if you’re not a senior than you won’t really understand what it means to play your last game. I hope that everyone goes out there who are not playing for themselves hopefully plays for the seniors.”

The Torch: What do you hold on most from the previous senior classmates and teammates who graduated?  Are there any inspirations or motivations to help you finish off this season?

Danaejah Grant: “Definitely Eugeneia McPherson and Amber Thompson. Even though Amber might not have been vocal at times, she definitely went all out on the floor and she lived by example. And Eugenia she had a lot of experience, so that helped us out with certain games when we needed that extra push, knowing where to be on the floor, knowing how to win a game. So I definitely miss their leadership.”

The Torch: What is one thing you’ll miss about St. John’s?

Danaejah Grant: “One thing I’ll miss is just the atmosphere. Being able to come in here and play everyday. It’s not so much about always being a professional or always being in the real world. You still have time to be a kid and once you leave here, you step into the real world. Then you have to make decisions on your own. So I’m going to miss that aspect.”

The Torch: One thing you won’t miss?

Danaejah Grant: “I will probably say 6 a.m. practices and conditioning. I mean I’ll still have to do it, but it will be on my own time. Definitely suicides and anything that has to do with strengthening and conditioning; you know just stuff like that, but little stuff. Overall, I’ll miss everything here.”