Anna Kim leads Johnnies to fifth place finish in Big East Championship

The Red Storm Women’s Golf team finished fifth in the Big East Championship at the Dogwood and Magnolia Courses in South Carolina. Senior Anna Kim finished her extraordinary career by placing second in the individual scores.

“It’s bittersweet,” Kim said. “I had an amazing time playing for this team and I’m really excited to start a new chapter in my life.”

During the three-day tournament, Kim posted a three round score of a 75-74-76 for a final score of 226, (+9) over par. The former Big East Golfer of the Week finished only three strokes behind the eventual champion, Shane Crutchfield of Xavier.

“Anna had a nice tournament this week,” head coach Ambry Bishop. “I know her goal was to win, but she still pulled out a strong finish. This wasn’t her best week of play on a tough Callawassie Island golf course, but she still showed why she is one of the top players in the BIG EAST by closing out the tournament as the runner-up.”

Kim finishes a stellar career with three ALL-BIG EAST selections, three top seven finishes in conference tournaments and four career medals.

The rest of the St. John’s five player team included freshman Kristy Beckwith, junior Saskia Sterud, red shirt sophomore Lindsey Oliva, and freshman Lydia Kim. Beckwith finished in 11th place individually by posting a three round score of 80-81-77 for a total of (238) strokes.

Beckwith’s final round was tied for fifth among the 30 participants in the tournament.

Sterud finished with an 84-82-84 score and a total of 250 which was good enough to finish in 22nd. Lindsey Oliva and Lydia Kim finished in 29th and 30th respectively to give St. John’s a combined score of 992, which was good for 5th place out of 6 teams.

The Red Storm finished above Creighton while Seton Hall won its third consecutive team title with a score of 935, +71 strokes over par.

The 2016 campaign is now officially over for the St. John’s women’s golf team. The season was highlighted with 2nd place finishes in both the Lonnie Barton Invitational and the St. John’s Women’s Collegiate, as well as a win against Hofstra in the Hofstra Dual Match.