Do it again: Alumni set to walk LI a second time

Kieran Lynch, Editor In Chief, Emeritus
May 5, 2014
Filed under Features

Last spring, a group of then-fresh St. John’s graduates completed a 128-mile walk from the Brooklyn Bridge to Montauk, Long Island to raise money for Developmental Disabilities Institute, a Smithtown, Long Island-based organization that specializes in providing services for people with autism. One... Read More »

Admins to Torch: Time to relocate

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief, Emeritus
May 1, 2014
Filed under Home Scroll, News

As the Torch prepared for the last issue of the school year, its new editorial board found out that the newspaper — and its 13 editors and two business managers — will be moved this summer to a new office that currently hosts three graduate assistants. As consolation, Torch staff said, school... Read More »

Season of hope hits rock bottom

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
March 20, 2014
Filed under Basketball, Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Center, Sports Scroll

Maybe the St. John’s men’s basketball team hadn’t quite gotten over its bubble-bursting loss in the Big East Tournament. Maybe it couldn’t get excited in front of a sparse crowd usually seen at an exhibition game. Maybe it was because it was playing the lowest possible seed. Whatever the reason,... Read More »

St. John’s comeback falls short, NCAA shot fades

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
March 14, 2014
Filed under Basketball, Home Scroll, Men's Basketball, Sports

As time dwindled for the St. John’s men’s basketball team to complete a monumental comeback in the Big East Tournament quarterfinal, junior guard D’Angelo Harrison tried to send a shot from behind the arc that would have tied the game. Instead, the ball was stopped after barely leaving his grasp... Read More »

Bubble pressure on as Red Storm prepare for conference tourney

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
March 12, 2014
Filed under Basketball, Men's Basketball, Sports

Heading into the Big East tournament, the No. 5-seeded St. John’s men’s basketball team is keenly aware of its place on the NCAA bubble – and how quickly its chances can go from within grasp to either non-existent or reality. A quarterfinal matchup with No. 4 seeded Providence will go a long... Read More »

Lavin ranks fourth among Big East coaches in total compensation

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
March 12, 2014
Filed under Basketball, Sports

St. John’s men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin, who has been involved in contract-extension talks with the University this season, ranks fourth in total compensation among the 10 Big East head coaches at $2,027,307, according to the most recent tax records available to the public. The fourth-year... Read More »

Lavin extension talks ongoing

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
March 7, 2014

The University and men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin have discussed an extension of his current six-year contract, according to a statement from the program. Lavin told the New York Post talks were ongoing in a recent interview. Both Lavin and Director of Athletics Chris Monasch released statements... Read More »

Prez of College Dems: LGBTQ organization still in the works

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
February 26, 2014
Filed under News

The president of College Democrats says that strides have been made toward forming a LGBTQ organization in the year since student dissatisfaction with current programs came to light. Multiple meetings have taken place since the beginning of the fall semester between administrators and members of the... Read More »

‘Locked in’ Storm beat USF decisively 81-57

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
December 19, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Scroll

The St. John’s men’s basketball team completed its second dominant performance in its last three games with an 81-57 win over San Francisco at Carnesecca Arena Wednesday. The Red Storm (7-3), who dominated Fordham on Dec. 7 and fell by five to No. 2 Syracuse on Sunday, continued a stretch of improved... Read More »

Johnnies come close, but can’t pull upset vs. ‘Cuse

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
December 16, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team failed to pull off a defining upset over No. 2 Syracuse falling 68-63 after a resurgent second half in front of an energized crowd of 16,357 at Madison Square Garden Sunday afternoon. The Red Storm (6-3) recovered from a first half where they fell behind by... Read More »

Red Storm surpass 100 points in blowout at MSG

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
December 9, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team left no question about starting fast as it defeated Fordham 104-58 in its first game at Madison Square Garden Saturday. After developing a trend of slow starts, the Red Storm (6-2) reeled off an astonishing first half where they went 12:39 without missing a... Read More »

Slow out of the gate

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
December 4, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The St. John’s men’s basketball team came roaring back from a 15-point deficit twice over the weekend at the Barclays Center Classic Brooklyn. It came out of the tournament 1-1, but saw the continuation of a trend of slow starts that dates back to the Red Storm’s season opener against Wisconsin. The... Read More »

Despite rough offensive night, Storm put away Lancers

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
November 27, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Scroll

The St. John’s men’s basketball team defeated Longwood 65-47 at Carnesecca Arena Tuesday, but it was hardly a feel-good win for the 3,531 fans in attendance. The Lancers (2-4) opened the game with a 7-0 run, but the Red Storm (4-1) answered with a 9-2 run to even the score. After a back-and-forth... Read More »

Johnnies sweep past Wagner for first win

Kieran Lynch , Editor-in-Chief
November 15, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Coming off a season-opening loss to then-No. 20 Wisconsin last week, the St. John’s men’s basketball team knew it had to get in the win column. That would hardly be a guarantee without an emphasis on the deficiencies exhibited last week – mainly defense and 3-point shooting. It got a little... Read More »

Johnnies fall to Wisconsin in opener

Johnnies fall to Wisconsin in opener

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
November 13, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Scroll

Put the hype on hold – for now. The St. John’s men’s basketball team dropped its much-anticipated opener 86-75 to No. 20 Wisconsin in Sioux Falls, S.D. Friday evening. The Red Storm (0-1) never held a lead, but drew as close as four points with 8:28 left in the second half before the Badgers... Read More »

Johnnies fall in opener to Wisconsin

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
November 9, 2013

SJU wins big in preseason, shifts focus to opener vs. Wisconsin

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
November 5, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team crushed Division II Humboldt State 106-39 Monday at Carnesecca Arena in its final exhibition before opening the regular season Friday against No. 20 Wisconsin. The Red Storm led from wire-to-wire against the Lumberjacks – the polar opposite of the close two-point... Read More »

Johnnies squeeze past Gators in exhibition

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
November 2, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The St. John’s men’s basketball team survived a scare from Division II San Francisco State 82-80 in its first exhibition game of the season after trailing by as many as eight points in the second half. Junior guard D’Angelo Harrison gave the Red Storm the lead 81-80 at 17 seconds remaining with... Read More »

Obekpa suspended for exhibitions

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
October 25, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Sports

Sophomore Chris Obekpa will serve a suspension spanning Tip-Off and the two exhibition games to open the season due to a "University policy violation," the team announced Friday evening. The 6-foot-9 center will be allowed to practice throughout the preseason and will be reinstated for the first regular... Read More »

President announces Wile replacements

President announces Wile replacements

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
October 2, 2013
Filed under Harrington, News

The job responsibilities that belonged to former Chief of Staff Robert Wile have been split among a handful of top University officials, Rev. Joseph L. Levesque, C.M., interim President of the University, announced Thursday. Joseph E. Oliva, General Counsel to the University, will continue in his... Read More »

Hooper set to start first St. John’s season

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
September 29, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Sports, Sports Scroll

Redshirt sophomore Max Hooper hasn’t seen a minute on the floor with the St. John’s men’s basketball team after transferring from Harvard following his freshman year in 2011/12. That year off has given him a chance to improve his game while he awaits his official debut with the Red Storm. He’s... Read More »

Public Safety, NYPD set to increase patrols after incident

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
September 18, 2013
Filed under News

A female University student was the victim of a forcible touching incident Friday evening, resulting in Public Safety announcing increased patrols in the area both by them and the NYPD, according to a campus-wide email from Tom Lawrence, Vice President of Public Safety, late Friday evening. The student... Read More »

Johnny Thunderbird stays on perch

Johnny Thunderbird stays on perch

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
September 11, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, News

The Red Storm name and Johnny Thunderbird mascot are expected to remain a part of St. John’s after an athletics branding survey revealed the University community supports both, the Torch has learned. The Red Storm name was preferred the most among more than 3,000 respondents from targeted audiences,... Read More »

Storm to open Big East season at Xavier

Kieran Lynch , Editor-in-Chief
September 11, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball

The St. John’s men’s basketball team will start the new Big East era with its first conference game on New Year’s Eve and will end its regular season with a “protected rivalry” game against Marquette in March, according to the conference schedule that was released last Thursday. The schedule... Read More »

Ready to serve: Torch Q&A with interim-President Rev. Levesque

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
August 28, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, Levesque, News

The Torch sat down with recently named interim-Presdident Rev. Joseph L. Levesque, C.M. The 75-year-old Vincentian priest, who will lead the University for one year, spoke about his past with St. John’s and Niagara University, his plans for his tenure and moving forward following a year that saw... Read More »

Investigation: Harrington and Wile made ‘errors in judgment’

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
August 28, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, News

... Read More »

University Set to Launch New Brand

University Set to Launch New Brand

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
August 28, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Home Scroll, News, Sports

This summer the University embarked on an expansive rebranding effort that it hopes will go a long way in changing the perception of St. John’s both from within and outside the school’s gates. Administrators said the wide-ranging changes that are beginning to appear on campus this fall – including... Read More »

Harrison back from suspension

Harrison back from suspension

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
August 28, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Featured Athlete, Men's Basketball, Sports

Junior D’Angelo Harrison says he’s a different person after spending time away from the men’s basketball team as a result of a suspension that began toward the end of last season’s conference schedule. Head coach Steve Lavin chose to suspend the fiery guard saying that at the time, that the... Read More »

Whitesell hired as men’s basketball assistant

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
August 6, 2013

The men’s basketball team announced the hiring of Jim Whitesell as an assistant coach and the movement of former assistant Darrick Martin to the role of Director of Basketball Operations on Monday. Whitesell served as the Associate Head Coach for Saint Louis University for two years, before which... Read More »

Rev. Joseph L. Levesque, C.M. named interim-President

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
July 10, 2013
Filed under Harrington, Levesque, News

Rev. Joseph L. Levesque, C.M. has been elected interim President of the University by the Board of Trustees, according to an email sent from Peter P. D’Angelo, Chairman of the Board, to the University community Wednesday morning. Levesque will assume the role of interim President effective Aug.... Read More »

Harrington Steps Down Effective July 31

Harrington Steps Down Effective July 31

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
May 8, 2013
Filed under Harrington Steps Down, Home Scroll, News

An earlier version of this story was published on May 3, 2013. The more recent version, below, appeared in the Torch's May 8, 2013 'Special Report' print edition. Rev. Donald J. Harrington, C.M., President of the University, announced in an email to the University community Friday that he... Read More »

College Needs More of a Career Focus

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
May 2, 2013
Filed under Opinion

There are certain expectations that students have when they begin their college education. They expect to learn, to grow as people and to gain skills to help them perform in their chosen career field upon graduation. From my experiences at St. John’s, the last expectation seems to be only partially... Read More »

Lavin Gets His Man: Jordan to St. John’s

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
April 24, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team  secured its sole target for the 2013 recruiting class today as Rysheed Jordan announced his commitment to the Red Storm over Twitter this morning. “I am looking forward to taking the next steps as a basketball player and in continuing my education at St.... Read More »

Faculty Writers Deliver Petition to Newman Hall

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
April 11, 2013
Filed under Harrington, Home Scroll, News

The five faculty members who drafted the open letter to the Board of Trustees earlier this semester have delivered the document to the office of Rev. Donald J. Harrington, President of the University. The... Read More »

Top Recruit Rysheed Jordan Commits to St. John’s

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
April 11, 2013

The St. John's men's basketball team got its sole target for the 2013 recruiting class today as Rysheed Jordan announced his commitment to the Red Storm over Twitter this morning. "I am looking forward to taking the next steps as a basketball player and in continuing my education at St. John's University,"... Read More »

Faculty Members Circulate Petition Aimed at Board

Kieran Lynch, Editor-in-Chief
March 27, 2013
Filed under Harrington, Home Scroll, News, Top Stories

UPDATED AND SEEN IN PRINT EDITION, APRIL 10, 2013. Five St. John's faculty members have drafted a letter to the Board of Trustees calling for more transparency pertaining to the fallout from allegations of financial impropriety at the highest levels of the University. The letter, which was obtained... Read More »

Sir’Dom Plays Hero for Johnnies

Sir’Dom Plays Hero for Johnnies

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
March 20, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Home Scroll, Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Scroll

The St. John’s men’s basketball team lived to see another day as Sir’Dominic Pointer made a last second step-back fade away shot to down Saint Joseph’s 63-61 in the first round of the NIT tournament at Hagan Arena in Philadelphia, Pa. “He deserved a high point given the degree of how bad... Read More »

‘Cats Bounce Johnnies from Tournament

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
March 13, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team barely had enough time to take in the scenery before they were bounced from the Big East tournament by Villanova on Wednesday night. The Red Storm (16-15, 8-10) fell to the Wildcats (20-12, 10-8) 66-53 after a game that saw the team go from being down 12 early... Read More »

Sampson Named Rookie of the Year

Sampson Named Rookie of the Year

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
March 13, 2013

Freshman JaKarr Sampson was named the 2012-2013 Big East Rookie of the Year, which is voted on by the conference’s coaches and was announced yesterday. Sampson is the third player in school history to win the award and the second in a row after Maurice Harkless received the trophy following his... Read More »

Heartbreak at the Garden

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
March 13, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

With time running down, the St. John’s men’s basketball regular season finale looked like it was going the way that so many of the team’s games against ranked teams went – a promising beginning followed by a bitterly disappointing end. That outlook looked like it could change beginning at... Read More »

Pop Goes the Bubble

Pop Goes the Bubble

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
March 6, 2013
Filed under Basketball, Home Scroll, March Madness, Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Scroll

St. John’s entered yesterday’s game fighting for its NCAA tournament life. It exited simply fighting, with any hopes of dancing long gone. The Red Storm, who held a four-point lead going into halftime before being outscored 44-14 in the second half, fell to No. 24 Notre Dame 66-40 at Purcell Pavilion... Read More »

Harrison Suspended for Remainder of Season

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
March 1, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, Men's Basketball, Sports

Sophomore D'Angelo Harrison has been suspended for the remainder of the 2012-2013 season for "conduct detrimental to the team," according to the team. The third leading scorer in the Big East will miss all remaining regular season games, as well as the Big East tournament and any postseason games.... Read More »

Orlando Sanchez Cleared By NCAA

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 28, 2013

Senior Orlando Sanchez has been deemed eligible by the NCAA to play for the St. John's men's basketball team during the 2013-2014 season, according to the team. The 24-year-old player was deemed ineligible prior to the 2012-2013 season after the NCAA ruled that he had used all four years of his eligibility.... Read More »

Sanchez Tries to Make Best of NCAA Situation

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 26, 2013

When senior Orlando Sanchez was declared ineligible to play NCAA basketball in the fall of 2012, the outlook wasn't necessarily what it is today. The 6 foot 9 forward thought about leaving, thought about returning to his home country of the Dominican Republic or possibly playing professionally somewhere... Read More »

Report: Rev. Harrington, Robert Wile Deeply Embedded in Chang’s Gift-Giving

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 25, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Deceased former St. John’s dean Cecilia Chang showered President Rev. Donald J. Harrington and his chief of staff, Robert Wile, with extravagant gifts supposedly paid by “unnamed donors,” when they were really being charged to the University, according to a report in New York Magazine. The former... Read More »

NCAA Hopes Hit Roadblock as Johnnies Fall to Pitt

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 24, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team is hoping do “to do something special come March,” as head coach Steve Lavin puts it time and again, but the NCAA tournament looked like a distant dream as the Red Storm (16-11, 8-7) fell to No. 20 Pittsburgh (21-7, 9-6) after a second half disappearance... Read More »

Sanchez Lawyer Speaks Regarding Case

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 23, 2013

Following St. John's exhausting their own means in an attempt to get Orlando Sanchez eligible, the University hired Robert Orr to defend the player. The issue of his eligibility revolves around the 3 minutes 38 seconds that Sanchez played for the Dominican National Team in July of 2010, according... Read More »

Report: Sanchez Eligibility Issues Stem from D.R. National Team

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 22, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball

The source of Orlando Sanchez's eligibility issues is a 3 minute 38 second cameo in a game for the Dominican Republic National Team in 2010, according to a report in the New York Times. The current senior played for the national team as a 22-year-old in the same calendar year that he started playing... Read More »

Not In The Cards

Not In The Cards

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 20, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team couldn’t sustain a series of runs as they fell to then No. 12 Louisville 72-58 at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, KY. The Red Storm (15-10, 7-6) started the second half by going on a 10-0 run, but the Cardinals (21-5, 9-4) quickly rebounded with a 8-0... Read More »

Students, Admins at Odds Over GSA

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 13, 2013
Filed under Home Scroll, News

Gay rights advocates won a symbolic victory when Notre Dame announced in December the approval of a student-run, university-funded LGBTQ organization on campus starting this semester. Many in the St. John’s LGBTQ community (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning) and its advocates... Read More »

Johnnies Edge Past Huskies

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
February 7, 2013

With the ring finger on his right hand swollen to what looked like double the size, sophomore D’Angelo Harrison’s hands tell the story of the ups and downs of Wednesday night’s game against Connecticut and maybe of the season as a whole. From that injured hand came the struggles of shooting... Read More »

Not Quite March, but Our Time’s Now

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
January 31, 2013
Filed under March Madness, Men's Basketball, Opinion

There was a point last basketball season when I was sitting at Madison Square Garden and thought to myself something along the lines of, ‘this program is headed in the right direction, but I may have seen all the big moments I was destined to see as a freshman in 2010-11.’ Now, it looks like I... Read More »

Nostalgia Sparks Fascinating Comparison

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
January 30, 2013

Exactly two years ago, the 11 seniors of the 2010-2011 St. John’s men’s basketball team upset the then No. 3 Duke in grand fashion and sparked off a meteoric rise to the finish line in March that resulted in a trip to the NCAA tournament and captivated a city. This year, the cast is very different.... Read More »

Conference Frenzy Continues

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
January 23, 2013
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

When St. John’s students departed for the start of winter break, the school’s athletic programs were facing an uncertain future in the form of conference realignment. On Dec. 15, the seven Catholic and non-football members of the Big East announced that they would be departing the conference in... Read More »

Holdin’ On In Chi-Town

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
January 23, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team held off another late rally, this time from DePaul, as they defeated the Blue Demons 71-62 at Allstate Arena in Rosemmont, Ill. The Red Storm (11-7, 3-3) had built a 17-point lead that began to dwindle down the stretch, getting to within three points at the... Read More »

Johnnies Knock Off Ranked Bearcats

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
January 5, 2013

The St. John’s men’s basketball team held off a late rally from Cincinnati with the help of a delayed flourish from sophomore guard D’Angelo Harrison to defeat the No.14 ranked Bearcats 53-52 at Fifth-Third Arena in Cincinnati on Saturday evening. The game was the first time that the Red Storm... Read More »

Chance Lost

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
December 23, 2012

The St. John’s men’s basketball team was stunned in their final out of conference game as they lost to UNC-Asheville 72-65 after relinquishing a 17-point lead. The Red Storm (8-4) got ahead early but couldn’t sustain it as they allowed Asheville to go on a 14-4 run with 6:45 remaining to take... Read More »

Catholic Schools Announce Big East Departure

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
December 15, 2012

The Big East’s seven Catholic schools have announced their decision to break away from the conference in a press release Saturday afternoon. The seven schools involved are St. John’s, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall and Villanova. “Earlier today we voted unanimously... Read More »

Lav Lends Thoughts On Big East

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
December 11, 2012

According to reports, the seven Big East Catholic schools met with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Sunday to discuss the future of the conference and the possibility of other options for the schools. St. John’s, as one of the seven schools and an original founding member of the Big East, finds... Read More »

San Fran Stifles Red Storm

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
December 5, 2012

Slow starts are becoming the norm for the St. John’s men’s basketball team, though this time they failed to recover as they lost to San Francisco 81-65 at War Memorial Gym last night in head coach Steve Lavin’s homecoming. The Red Storm (6-3) fell behind early once again thanks, in part, to... Read More »

Johnnies Stumble Against Murray State

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 18, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

After another quick start down in Charleston, the St. John’s men’s basketball team couldn’t keep momentum and fell to Murray State 72-67 in the semi-final round of the tournament. Momentum started to shift before the half as the Racers went on a 13-3 run to cut the Red Storm’s lead to three. The... Read More »

Bourgault Cleared by NCAA

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 16, 2012
Filed under Basketball, Breaking News, Home Scroll, Men's Basketball, Sports

Junior Marco Bourgault has been cleared by the NCAA to play for the St. John's men's basketball team, according to the team. A student at St. John's gave a first hand account of what he saw transpire in his Tuesday morning class in Sullivan Hall around 10:50 am. "He raised his hand during class,... Read More »

Johnnies Sail Through Charleston

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 15, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The St. John’s men’s basketball team opened up the Charleston Classic by defeating the host school, College of Charleston, 64-53 to advance to the semi-finals in the tournament. The Red Storm (2-0) pulled away early in the first half, running up and down the floor with relative ease, and never... Read More »

Gas Shortage Affects NY Area

Gas Shortage Affects NY Area

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under Features

For Rob Delsignore, a junior commuter student, returning to school on Nov. 5 was no easy task. In order to make his way to campus, he had to leave behind his normal mode of car transportation for a crowded LIRR train. Without easily accessible gasoline, his car was useless and unfortunately for him,... Read More »

Supreme Court will determine Obama’s legacy

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under Election2012, Opinion

Over the course of the last year, President Obama and Mitt Romney have battled over every issue under the umbrella of American politics. They turned attention to the economy, foreign affairs and human rights. Basically, anything that could show some sort of short-term impact that could play up to an... Read More »

Red Storm Deals With Roster Issues

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 3, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

Four players didn’t play in the men’s basketball team’s first preseason game against Sonoma State on Nov. 3. Senior God’sgift Achiuwa, junior Orlando Sanchez and sophomore Marco Bourgault sat on the sidelines in sweatsuits, while Felix Balamou didn’t see playing time despite wearing a uniform.... Read More »

Johnnies Top Sonoma State in Preseason Opener

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
November 3, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The St. John’s men’s basketball team gave their first official performance of the winter as they opened up their preseason schedule with a 73-55 win against Division II side Sonoma St. on Nov. 3 at Carnesecca Arena. After the Red Storm went on an 11-0 run to start the game, the Seawolves came... Read More »

Student Spotlight: ‘Dare to Believe’

Student Spotlight: ‘Dare to Believe’

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
October 24, 2012
Filed under Features

The famous Frank Sinatra song goes, “If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.”  “Here,” of course, refers to New York City and the idea of making it in the city has been a dream of people young and old long before the song became a hit and long after. Chris Dare, a junior business... Read More »

Here We Go

Here We Go

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
October 17, 2012

The men’s and women’s basketball teams ceremoniously kicked off their 2012/13 campaigns with the annual “Red Storm Tip-Off” event that featured player introductions, a scrimmage and dunk contest this past Friday at Carnesecca Arena. More than 3,000 fans celebrated the return of head coach... Read More »

Voter ID laws the real fraud here

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
October 3, 2012
Filed under Opinion

We as Americans often hear about “wars” that take place domestically.  Media pundits often spin these ideas of people’s rights and beliefs as being trampled in order to help create a sense of outrage. People will put war in front of anything in hopes of drumming up awareness for their cause. ... Read More »

Student Spotlight: #Dieslow

Student Spotlight: #Dieslow

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
October 3, 2012
Filed under Features

There are many things that are synonymous with the autumn season at St. John’s.  Among them are cooler temperatures, a new college basketball season and the return of the intramural flag football league. For one of the teams in the league, it isn’t enough just to win; they want to record it for... Read More »

‘Dribble Stirs Excitement

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 26, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

The men’s basketball team is gearing up for a new season that will feature the return of head coach Steve Lavin to the sidelines full time as well another highly regarded recruiting class ranked as high as No. 8 in the nation. Lavin, as well as sophomores D’Angelo Harrison, Amir Garrett and Phil... Read More »

Student Spotlight: Jason Lapin

Student Spotlight: Jason Lapin

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 26, 2012
Filed under Features

Whether you’re riding the subway from Queens to Manhattan or taking a trip on the Metro to the Louvre in Paris, you may have gotten to hear some music along the way.  It comes in different forms from different people, just like the students at St. John’s. Jason Lapin, an English major in his... Read More »

Barber Wars II: New Gen Hits Back

Barber Wars II: New Gen Hits Back

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 26, 2012
Filed under Features

The owner of New Generation Barber Shop has hit back at his rival Union Turnpike barber, Igor Pinhasov, claiming that the pair never worked together and that the pictures of him fixing Pinhasov’s haircut are “real.” Pinhasov told the Torch that the two worked together for 10 months, something... Read More »

Mascot to Rappel from 470 ft. Building

Mascot to Rappel from 470 ft. Building

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 26, 2012
Filed under News, Off campus, On campus, Sports, Top Stories

Johnny Thunderbird is getting set to rappel down the side of a 470-foot skyscraper in Jersey City, NJ, this Friday and the man in the suit will be Clint Wolfrom, a junior. Johnny will be taking part in the event , known as Over the Edge, live on the “Today Show” alongside celebrities such as Sarah... Read More »

Manhattan Campus Remembers 9/11

Manhattan Campus Remembers 9/11

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 12, 2012
Filed under Features

Eleven years ago yesterday, 2,996 people lost their lives in downtown Manhattan, Washington D.C., and Shanksville, Pennsylvania in the worst attack on American soil.  While many New Yorkers’ lives were forever changed that day, there was a group of St. John’s students whose whole fall semester was... Read More »

Why Aren’t We Better Off, Mr. Romney?

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Last Thursday night, I sat down to watch Mitt Romney’s Republican nomination acceptance speech.  I expected to be bombarded with more inaccuracies than I ended up receiving.  One thing, however, stuck out in its ridiculousness.  It was a statement, but in reality was being posed as a question. “Are... Read More »

Vincenzo’s Raises Price for ‘Dollar Slices’

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under Features

The famed $1.00 slice at Vincenzo’s Pizzeria on Union Turnpike saw its price get bumped up to $1.25 on Sept. 1 due to the rise in everything from energy costs to cheese costs, according to workers at the restaurant. “It’s Con-Ed, the water bill, the gas bill,” said Alberto, who wished to only... Read More »

From graffiti artist to surgeon

From graffiti artist to surgeon

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
August 30, 2012
Filed under Features

Most people use hobbies as ways to pass the time and others figure out ways to turn a hobby into a career.  For Michael Brodnansky, it’s a little combination of both. Brodnansky, a junior biology major from Glen Cove, Long Island, started drawing at such a young age he doesn’t really remember... Read More »

Tartamella Introduced as Women’s Head Basketball Coach

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
April 27, 2012
Filed under Top Stories, Women's Basketball

St. John’s announced the hiring of Joe Tartamella as the eighth women’s basketball head coach to replace Kim Barnes Arico in a press conference Friday morning. “Joe has spent the last nine years as Coach Barnes Arico’s right hand person,” Director of Athletics, Chris Monasch said.   “He... Read More »

Students Fill Cheap Seats at Citi

Students Fill Cheap Seats at Citi

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
April 18, 2012
Filed under Features

Coming into the 2012 Major League Baseball season, the New York Mets were predicted to finish in last place in the National League East by the vast majority of analysts and fans alike. Starting out the season at Citi Field, their home since 2009, in nearby Flushing, the Mets won their first four games... Read More »

‘Nerd’ Breaks Into NYC Comedy

Kieran Lynch, Features Editor
April 10, 2012
Filed under Features

Every friend circle has a “funny guy” within their group to keep things light and entertaining.  Once in a while that guy is someone who recognizes that what comes naturally to him might be something that others find unique and could possibly be a means to an end. Kevin Wolfring, a sophomore... Read More »

Women’s Basketball Survives Late Creighton Rally to Advance

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
March 18, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

Junior Nadirah McKenith hit a game-winning shot with 0.1 seconds left as the St. John’s women’s basketball team survived a scare from No. 14 Creighton, winning 59-57 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.   After the Red Storm held the lead for most of the game, the Blue Jays evened... Read More »

Women’s Basketball Sent Off in Style

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
March 16, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

The St. John’s women’s basketball team received a warm sendoff at Carnesecca Arena Friday afternoon before heading to Norman, Oklahoma for their first round NCAA matchup.   St. John’s students enjoyed food, games, and prizes as they waited for the No. 3 seed Red Storm to make their appearance.   “It’s... Read More »

Johnnies are Dancing Again

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
March 14, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

The St. John’s women’s basketball team heard its name called on Selection Monday for the third straight year and will be heading to Norman, Okla. for a first round matchup against Creighton.   “It’s a great feeling and I’m really proud of the kids and the program for being able to... Read More »

Women’s Basketball Still Storming: McKenith Ties Career High as Johnnies Extend Winning Streak

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
February 22, 2012
Filed under Sports, Women's Basketball

The St. John’s women’s basketball team extended its winning streak to six games with a 63-54 win against West Virginia at Carnesecca Arena on Feb. 21. Junior guard Nadirah McKenith tied her career high with 26 points while junior guard Shenneika Smith added 12 points and eight rebounds in the... Read More »

Preview: Cincinnati

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
February 8, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

St. John’s returns to action against Cincinnati for the second time this season this Wednesday at Madison Square Garden. The two teams all ready faced each other once... Read More »

Greene and Co. Look to Avoid Letdown at DePaul

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
February 1, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

St. John’s heads to Rosemont, Ill. on Wednesday to face fellow Vincentian institution DePaul in a Big East matchup at Allstate Arena.   The Red Storm (9-12, 3-6) are coming off a 83-76 loss against No. 6 Duke University, in a game that saw a large Blue Devils lead dwindle in the second half. ... Read More »

Moe Shows New Intensity

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
February 1, 2012
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports

St. John’s freshman Maurice Harkless earned Big East Rookie of the Week honors after averaging 26.5 points per game and 13 rebounds against West Virginia and Duke last week.   The 6-foot-8 forward averaged 26.5 points and 13.0 rebounds a game over the course of the week where the Red Storm... Read More »

Women’s Basketball Falls in Season Opener to Bonnies

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
November 16, 2011
Filed under Sports, Sports Center, Women's Basketball

The No. 25 St. John’s women’s basketball team was upset in its season opener by St. Bonaventure, 64-58, on Nov. 12 at Carnesecca Arena.   St. John’s was ahead by as many as 13 midway through the first half, but St. Bonaventure chipped away at the lead and finally overtook the Johnnies... Read More »

“Madness” Comes to St. John’s

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
October 20, 2011
Filed under Men's Basketball, Sports, Sports Center

St. John’s unveiled its 2011/12 men’s and women’s basketball teams at Oct. 14’s Red Storm Tip-Off, which was held at Carnesecca Arena for the second straight year. The event marked the official beginning of practice for both programs. The women’s team returns three starters from the team... Read More »

Volleyball Drops Big East Opener at Louisville

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
September 25, 2011
Filed under Sports, Sports Center, Volleyball

Nothing has come easy for the St. John’s volleyball team this season and Friday’s Big East conference opener at the KFC Yum! Center against the University of Louisville was no exception.   Coming off a pair of losses to Iowa and Columbia in the Columbia Invitational last Saturday, the... Read More »

Men’s Golf Takes Fourth at The McLaughlin

Kieran Lynch, Staff Writer
September 20, 2011
Filed under Golf, Sports, Sports Center

The St. John’s men’s golf team placed fourth at their opening tournament of the year, The McLaughlin, at Bethpage Red on Sept. 16-17. Playing as hosts at the Long Island course, the Red Storm enjoyed cool weather and strong performances from senior Mark Costanza and junior Pat Wilson. They tied... Read More »

Volleyball goes 2-1 in Kaiser Classic

Kieran Lynch, Contributing Writer
September 12, 2011

After suffering a loss in straight sets to Northeastern on Friday evening, the St. John’s volleyball team needed stars and newcomers alike to step up against Brown and Buffalo on Saturday in the Kaiser Classic.   They got it from the likes of senior mainstays Darlene Ramdin and Paulina Piegza... Read More »

Volleyball Struggles to 1-2 Record in Spartan Showcase

Kieran Lynch, Contributing Writer
September 8, 2011
Filed under Sports, Volleyball

The St. John’s volleyball team traveled to East Lansing, Michigan this past weekend to compete in the Spartan Showcase hosted by Michigan State. After entering with a 3-0 record, the Red Storm went 1-2 over the weekend, suffering defeats at the hands of Michigan State and Cleveland State while beating... Read More »