Women’s tennis nearly sweep Stony Brook at Cunningham

It was almost a perfect Monday night for the St. John’s women tennis team against Stony Brook University.

The Red Storm held the Seawolves in check with a 6-1 victory that saw the Johnnies sweep all three double match-ups on the indoor courts at Cunningham Park.

The duo of Alison Adamski and Nataly Tumsevica set the tone for the team as they defeated the Seawolves’ Paola Rodolfi and Erica Federgreen in doubles action, 8-3.

The team of Maria Zivcicoya and Iray Aleksova clinched the doubles point in the Red Storm’s favor as they emerged victorious in their match, 8-1, and were then followed by Lauren Leo and Ashley Harper who won their match with a 7-6 tie break win to earn a clean doubles sweep for St. John’s.
The Red Storm’s dominance carried over to singles play as Zivcicoya, Tumsevica, Adamski, Harper and Leo all won their single matches in straight sets.

Stony Brook’s Claudia Sanua won the Seawolves’ only match of the night against Aleksova (2-6, 6-2, 10-8).

The victory improves St. John’s to 3-6 overall on the season. The Storm will look to extend their winning streak to three as they face Rutgers at home on Thursday afternoon.