Women’s hoops slide in ’09

The year 2009 hasn’t been nice to the St. John’s women’s basketball team so far.

After starting the 2008-2009 season with a record of 13-1, the Red Storm have gone 1-3 in 2009, including a pair of heartbreaking losses to Big East rivals USF and nationally-ranked Notre Dame.

Head Coach Kim Barnes-Arico’s squad started off the new year facing off against Providence at Madison Square Garden. Behind the dominant play of senior Monique McLean, sophomore Centhya “Coco” Hart, and freshman Da’Shena Stevens, the Red Storm went on to route their Big East rival, 57-52.

In the win, McLean had 28 points and six rebounds, while Hart chipped in 11 points and seven rebounds. Stevens recorded her third double-double of the year with 10 points and 11 rebounds.

After the big win in Madison Square Garden, it seemed that the Red Storm were going to roll into Big East action and be a dominant force in the league.

In their next match up at USF, the Red Storm put up a tough fight but fell to the Bulls in overtime, 81-71. The trio of McLean, Hart, and Stevens that would propel the Red Storm would yet again be the back bone of the team, combining for 52 points.

McLean scored a season-high 30 points including a career high of five three -pointers and sent the game into overtime when she converted two free throws with one second left in the game.

After the USF heartbreaker, St. John’s would host the Georgetown Hoyas. The Hoyas figured out the Red Storm’s secret and played tight defense against McLean all game. They went on to win 64-48.

The senior was held scoreless in the first half and finished the game with 15 points, seven rebounds, and four steals.

Sophomore point guard Sky Lindsay chipped in seven points, three blocks, and three steals.

After the loss, the Red Storm would travel to Indiana to play Big East powerhouse No. 10/4 Notre Dame.

They came in hungry and ready to play. They played them to the wire, but the Fighting Irish would show why they are nationally ranked and hold on for the win, 70-67.

Yet again, McLean would set the pace for the Red Storm. She finished the game with 17 points and eight rebounds. Stevens was the only other Red Storm player to score in double-digits as she finished the game with 11 points and five rebounds. Lindsay and senior Kelly McManmon each chipped in nine points in the loss.

The Red Storm continue their road trip West Virginia next Saturday.