Storm lose fourth straight

With the season coming to a close the St. John’s women’s basketball team’s chances of any post season play seems rather doubtful. The team suffered another disheartening defeat to Marquette on Saturday afternoon at the Al McGuire Center.

Kelly McManmon led the way for the Storm with 16 points, but a first half 11-point advantage would never be relinquished by the Golden Eagles as they held for a 69-56 victory.

“It was a great game, but we just didn’t get the outcome we were looking for,” said head coach Kim Barnes-Arico.

The Johnnies began the game on an 8-0 run, that was quickly followed by a 21-4 spurt from the Golden Eagles.

The tandem of Da’Shena Stevens and McManmon combined for 14 of the Johnnies’ 20 points in the half.

The Johnnies went on another 8-0 run to start the second half, cutting the Golden Eagles’ lead to three. The run would put the Johnnies in their nearest position to a victory since their first-half 8-0 advantage.

Persistent play from McManmon and Stevens combined with 11 points from the bench was not enough to earn them the win.
Stevens finished with 11 points, four assists and seven rebounds and Centhya Hart added seven points in 16 minutes of play.

Four players scored in double digits for the Golden Eagles (16-11, 7-6) whose win was their third straight. They now sit in sixth place in the Big East.

Senior guard Krystal Ellis led Marquette with 16 points and freshman forward Jessica Pachko finished with 11 points and 5 rebounds.

The Johnnies’ (15-11, 3-10) loss is their fourth in a row, and tenth conference loss of the season.

“We know that the Big East is the best conference in the country and that we have to play for 40 minutes or we can lose games by a point,” Barnes-Arico said.

In fact, the Storm have lost four games by less than three points this season, two of them by one point.

“It has kind of been a tough year for us, losing a bunch of close games,” said Barnes-Arico, “so we have had to fight adversity.

“I hope we are able to get some wins over the next few games and we want to continue to get better and work hard every day.”
With two upcoming home games, the Johnnies have the opportunity to finish the season strong.

They have lost their last four games at home, but are 9-4 this season at Carnesecca Arena.