Later hours at library would better meet student needs

Late night studying has become increasingly difficult for many St. John’s students. This semester, the University has decided to enforce an 11 p.m. closing time on weekdays for all sections of St. Augustine Hall, a main center for late night studying on campus.

School officials accredit the early closings to a decreased student government budget that doesn’t provide enough funds to pay the security guards, heating/air conditioning, and lights necessary to maintain the building.

In order to compensate students who study late into the night and have no where else to go, the University has  extended the hours of the D’ Angelo Center until 3 a.m.

However, in previous semesters, the University would close off most sections of St. Augustine Hall but would leave the first floor open throughout the night and into the morning so that students could have a quiet place to study. Removing 24-hour access to the library

Most resident students, excluding those living in singles or individuals who are resident assistants, share their bedrooms with roommates who may study and socialize at completely different times. While one roommate may listen to music loudly and have friends over during the day, the other might do the same during the night time. In effect, discrepancies are often established as a result of conflicting schedules that interfere with studying and socializing time periods.

Many commuter students are put at a disadvantage. If a commuter student is studying at 3 a.m. in the D’ Angelo Center for his or her 7:30 a.m. midterm, the individual is forced to leave because of the closing time and has to commute back home and come back early in the morning to take the exam.

In addition, the D’ Angelo Center is a building that is primarily designed to foster a social and relaxed setting at all hours of the day, an ambiance that isn’t welcoming to students who are looking for a quiet place to study or read. Even during late hours of the night and early mornings, the hallways of the newly-constructed building echo with sounds of loud students playing the piano or listening to music.

Whether living on campus or not, closing the library poses a huge inconvenience for students studying late a night.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, college students who study late into the night receive higher grades on exams when they study in their school’s library instead of their dorm room or lounge areas.

In fact, the research company also reports that students perform poorer on exams when they study in areas of campus designated for social activity instead of academic enrichment.

To solve this problem, every year the University should set aside funds to support the necessary maintenance needed for students to study in the library 24 hours a day. Instead of spending money on giving out free t-shirts or other campus paraphanelia, University officials should save that money and utilize it to maintain the library all day so that students may study peacefully.

This is an issue that the University must address. If not, students will never have a place where they can

quietly study at all hours of the night.