‘The Help’ Scores at SAGs

The Help dominated wins at the Screen Actors Guild Award Show. The southern drama won three awards out of their four nominations, including
best cast, at the 18th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards on Jan. 29. On Sunday, Octavia Spencer accepted an award for outstanding performance by a female
actor in a supporting role.The cast of The Help has already shown to be a favorite this awards season.

Spencer won a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress and whispers are circulating saying that the film is an academy favorite for the upcoming Oscars after nominees were announced last week.

The Screen Actors’ Guild had many diverse movies to choose from, but successfully awarded some of the year’s most talked about films and
television shows. There were several unexpected winners that went home empty handed at previous awards and nominations.

One surprising win was when Jean DuJardin landed the award for Male Lead Actor, for his role in The Artist, the romantic silent film. Beginners actor, Christopher Plummer won supporting actor as an elderly dad who come out to his adult son.

These wins give a prediction to what the Oscars will deliver in about a month. Last year, the four acting recipients from SAG all took Oscars home, including Colin Firth for The King’s Speech and Christian Bale for The Fighter.Mary Tyler Moore was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award. She is known for her roles in the 1960s sitcoms The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

TV wise, Steve Buscemi from Boardwalk Empire takes home the honor for male actor in a drama series and the show also won best drama ensemble. Jessica Lange from American Horror Story snagged best female actor in a drama series.

On the comedy side of television, Alec Baldwin from 30 Rock, and Betty White from Hot in Cleveland landed best male and female actor in a
comedy series. Modern Family took home the award for the Best Ensemble in a Comedy Series.
The red carpet had a large turnout of Hollywood’s biggest TV and film stars including Glee’s Lea Michelle, and both Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.