NYFW: Ease and Comfortable Fashion Looks for Spring 2015

Even though most people are looking forward to the upcoming fall season and Instagramming their pumpkin spiced lattes, the fashion world was preoccupied with spring and summer. Earlier this month, New York Fashion Week displayed some new trends to get us through all of winter.

One returning trend seen on nearly every runway was flat shoes. Peter Som decked out unusually simple slides in bright metallic silver with tassels and buckles. The DKNY show opted for sneakers in blue and orange, and sleek, white platform sandals.  Rag and Bone showed an impressive variety of footwear including slides, platform sandals and sneakers with Velcro-like closures all in their neutral palette of white, black and a light brown.

Another frequent theme among the shows was inspiration from sportswear. The Lacoste show brought a football mentality with oversized hoodies and shirts that resembled jerseys. They also inserted mesh into some of their dresses to give them a more athletic feel.  On the other side of the spectrum, Alexander Wang featured a few tennis-like looks. The nearly all-white dresses were decked out with kelly green collars and flared skirts. Mesh inserts were also featured throughout his show.

Tommy Hilfiger brought over a popular trend from overseas. His show’s theme was rock music and the eccentric clothing that the band members tend to wear. The trend has been explored by previous shows in Europe, most notably from Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent. Hilfiger clearly got his theme across with vibrant military wear, and classic rock-n-roll pieces such as vests and flared jeans.  The clothes were adorned with metallic, vertical stripes, stars and a touch of leather here and there keeping everything very theatrical and a little edgy.

Other designers stuck to the classic themes of spring and summer. Both Rebecca Minkoff and Band of Outsiders presented nautical-themed clothing. Band of Outsiders honed in on using stripes to shape each piece while Minkoff made each outfit look very relaxed and easy to wear by the windy sea. Both shows also featured wide-brimmed hats, an accessory that became popular in the seasons that just passed.

Overall, this fashion week brought a sense of ease and comfort to look forward to when spring rolls around.