‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ Sequel On the Way

Pulitzer Prize winning author Harper Lee is releasing a sequel to her world famous work “To Kill a Mockingbird” titled “Go Set a Watchman” on July 14. The book is currently #1 on Amazon.

The book, 55 years after its predecessor, follows a number of characters from “Mockingbird” including Scout, Atticus and Jem 20 years later. Amazon’s description of the book states that “Watchman” follows Scout as she goes back to her hometown of Maycomb, Ala. from New York to visit her father. She “struggles with issues both personal and political, involving Atticus, society and the small Alabama town that shaped her.”  Even though “Watchman” is the sequel to “Mockingbird,” it was written before the 1960 classic. The New York Times reported that it was Lee’s publisher who told her it would be a better idea to write a new book focusing on Scout’s childhood.

The news of the book has caused some controversy. According to USA Today, Lee is currently 88 years old and living in a nursing home in Monroeville, Ala. She is blind and deaf which lead some to believe that Lee may have been manipulated into publishing the book. This coupled with the fact that Lee’s sister Alice who helped protect her from the public eye died last year caused rumors to spread. In addition, BBC Lee’s sister wrote in 2011 that “Harper can’t see and can’t hear and will sign anything put before her by anyone in whom she has confidence.” However, multiple places are reporting that Lee is “extremely hurt” that anyone would think that she is being manipulated. She is said to be very excited for the book’s release. It is currently available for pre-order from a number of stores such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble.