What’s Poppin’: “Kong: Skull Island”

King Kong, the eighth wonder of the world. Ever since his inception in 1933, Kong has become one of the most iconic monsters in the movie industry and is considered America’s Godzilla. “Kong: Skull Island” is the latest reboot in the franchise.

The movie follows an expedition to, ostensibly, chart Skull Island, a mysterious and sinister place located in the Pacific Ocean. It is set in 1973, during the end of the Vietnam War. The expedition consists of a group of scientists led by U.S. Government Agent Bill Randa (John Goodman) and a squad of American soldiers led by Colonel Preston Packard (Samuel L. Jackson), a man whose disillusionment with the war has festered into a twisted sense of vengeance. Also on the expedition are the cynical former Captain Jack Conrad (Tom Hiddleston) and a pacifist photojournalist, Mason Weaver (Brie Larson).

Viewers are thrown almost immediately into the action. The expedition encounters Kong immediately after landing on the island. The movie blends spectacular visuals with very relevant themes about war. Like any Hollywood movie that involves war, it makes the audience question who the real monsters are (spoiler alert: it isn’t Kong). The amazing cinematography, set to a fun and upbeat soundtrack, makes “Kong: Skull Island” hook you from start to finish.