Billboard Top 10 Review: Week of March 10, 2018

1)God’s Plan by Drake

After underperforming in 2017, Drake returns to the top spot and I’m not feeling this song. God’s Plan sounds nothing like a number one song with the boring production and Drake’s boring monotone delivery making it more lifeless. I instantly forget the song is number one after every listen and I don’t get anything out of it but given Drake’s one of the biggest music acts of the 2010s people will eat up whatever he puts out regardless of quality. I can easily do without this.

2)Psycho by Post Malone ft. Ty Dolla Sign

Just when I thought we were finally starting to leave Post Malone behind, he returns yet again with Psycho. This is pretty much a “you get what you expect” type of song, you have Post Malone’s same boring delivery over a boring trap beat with the same luxury rap subject matter and Ty Dolla Sign not doing much to stand out.

3)Perfect by Ed Sheeran

It’s still fine enough but I’m already tired of it.

4)Finesse (Remix) by Bruno Mars ft. Cardi B

Easily my favorite song in the Top Ten right now! I’ve been enjoying the hell out of this song since the remix came out in January. As a Bruno fan, this doesn’t disappoint with Finesse calling back to the new jack swing/R&B style of the early 90s that Bruno pulls off well. And Cardi B on the remix really adds to the early 90s vibe with good flows on the intro and the bridge. With all the boring songs topping the charts now, Finesse really is a breath of fresh air and deserves the number one spot.

5)Havana by Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug

I am happy it hit number one and I still enjoy it.

6)Look Alive by BlocBoy JB ft. Drake

This song is only popular as it is because of Drake and considering he takes up the chorus and the first of two verses it becomes more of his song that newcomer BlocBoy JB. I’ll give Drake credit in that he sounds more awake here than on God’s Plan and even BlocBoy JB manages to keep up a good flow in his verse but it’s still forgettable.

7)Meant to Be by Bebe Rexha ft. Florida Georgia Line

No matter what Billboard and other people say, this is not a country song and it’s only being called a country song because Florida Georgia Line are on this. As for the song itself, it’s a piano ballad with trap production with those twangy guitars in the chorus the only thing close to country but even those are buried so much in the mix that it’s hard to hear them. Just like Look Alive, the guest stars take up more of the song than the main artist. Bebe and Florida Georgia Line’s vocals are okay enough with Bebe feeling doubtful about her relationship considering her past ones while Florida Georgia Line trying to cheer her up and enjoy the relationship. Overall, it’s okay but I’m not going to remember it.

8)Rockstar by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage

Still boring, but I don’t mind it as much anymore.

9)Pray for Me by The Weeknd with Kendrick Lamar

Black Panther has been the biggest movie in America for the last month and like a lot of big movies, songs from its soundtrack have become hits with Pray for Me the first of the two. I like the unstable feel of the production with good performances from both The Weeknd and Kendrick dealing with the themes of the movie.

10)All The Stars by Kendrick Lamar with SZA

Another song from Black Panther and I love the atmospheric feel of the production and vocals from the talkbox vocals before the chorus to SZA’s soulful delivery on the chorus and another good performance from Kendrick. Easily my favorite song from Black Panther