Tribeca Film Festival Announcement

Tribeca Film Festival first started in 2001, by founders Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff in order to “spur the economic and cultural revitalization of lower Manhattan to a gathering place for filmmakers, artists, innovators and the global creative community,” after 9/11, according to the Tribeca Film Festival website.

Ranging from films, TV, online work, VR/AR and music, Tribeca Film Festival combines all forms of artistry in the entertainment field. Comprising the specially curated schedule which includes films from 30 countries are 75 world premieres, five international premieres, nine North American premieres, three U.S. premieres and four New York premieres. Meanwhile, this year marks the highest percentage of female directors in the Tribeca Festival lineup at a whopping 46 percent.

Tribeca Film Festival is a melting pot of different voices and ideas, especially new voices that are just beginning to make their mark on the entertainment industry.

“We are proud to present a lineup that celebrates American diversity and welcomes new international voices in a time of cultural and social activism. Our films succeed in being both entertaining and illuminating which is what you desire from great storytellers,” Tribeca

Enterprises Executive Vice President Paula Weinstein said.

The lineup is a wide-ranging representation of the new directions of inclusion the industry is taking in order to reflect the world and the people in at large.

And our writers have their own take on a selection of these films.

Three Torch journalists: Staff writers Alexis Gaskin, Alessia Pisciotta and Entertainment Editor Samantha DeNinno attended the festival that began on April 18 and will continue to until its end on April 29.