Why Voting Is Important This Year

Our generation is consistently being ridiculed by our elders for being lazy, whiny and selfish.

Technology, they say, has not assisted us millenials in learning how to communicate or figure things out for ourselves; rather, the critics complain that smartphones, iPads and Google have inhibited us twenty-something’s to a point where we have succumbed to having a complete reliance on technology.

This does not sound like a vote of confidence from the people who should be trusting the upcoming generation. We yield a lot of power in the events that will shape America over the next couple of decades with our right to vote. Many analysts suggest every election year that young people are not apt to vote based on lack of interest in politics and/or not knowing enough information on who to vote for.  However, the presidential elections of 2008 and 2012 have bucked this trend.

“Voters from ages 18 to 29 represented 19 percent of all those who voted, an increase of one percentage point from 2008,” said Tyler Kingkade of The Huffington Post.

Despite critical articles stating that college students are not enthused to vote, or that fewer college students are registered to do so, the increase in the youth turnout exemplifies a more intelligent and in-tune generation. Our parents and grandparents do not give us enough credit for that.

However, critics do have a way with their argument. Many young voters do not seem interested in anything to do with politics, despite the fact that the most controversial issues today–the economy, the job market and national security—will greatly affect our generation in the future.

Discussing foreign countries like Syria and Iraq is typically dull and dry for most, but remains important in the sense that these countries will be frequently engaging with the United States for years to come and, thus, contribute to ongoing issues and crisis on the homeland and overseas.  The job market has consistently been volatile since 2008, making this the primary focus of voters on college campuses.  How will we pay our loans back?  Will we find a job that we like?  Will we have to live with our parents forever?

These questions are just some to ask ourselves before we brush off the idea that voting, and politics in general, are not important or interesting.

Just because this is not a presidential election year does not mean that it is less important than other elections.  Specifically to New York, there are elections for Governor and U.S. House of Representatives, just to name a couple.

These powerful positions have the ability to determine the outcome of New York’s politics for the future, affecting the chances of our generation securing a job, or better, our dream job.  Election day is Tuesday, Nov. 4.  No matter what political party you align with, go and cast a vote.  It could be the vote that secures you that dream job.