Five for the Red Storm’s fight

Tied with two sets apiece Sunday against DePaul and down 13-12 in the deciding fifth set, the St. John’s volleyball team went on a three point rally that decided the match.

The Red Storm (16-11, 3-7) went on a 6-1 run to win the final set and win the match 25-16, 19-25, 18-25, 25-21, 15-13.

Following a tough 3-0 defeat at Notre Dame the day before, the team took the two-hour bus trip to Chicago, where they squeezed out the comeback win.

Junior setter Alyssa Bennett posted three career-highs in the match, with 51 assists, 11 digs and eight kills while hitting .500 for the match.

Sophomore Gabriela Petkova finished with a career-high 29 digs, also a St. John’s season-high. Junior Paulina Piegza recorded a career-high 16 kills.

Ashley Asing had a season-high 15 digs.

Junior Darlene Ramdin recorded a season-high 19 kills and had seven blocks for the match. She committed just three errors in 36 attempts for a .444 attack percentage. Her totals give her 211 kills and 102 blocks with a .248 attack percentage, all team-highs.

The Red Storm hit .238 for the match and three players recorded double-digit kills. St. John’s also finished with a season-high 87 digs, and four players finished with double-digit digs.

St. John’s committed zero errors in a dominant first set in which the team shot .645. Ramdin and Lukjanska led the way with six and five kills, respectively, while Bennett had 15 assists. She also had three kills on as many attempts.

DePaul rebounded over the next two sets by going on extended runs, closing out the third set on a 6-0 run.

Though St. John’s fell behind in the fourth set, the Red Storm defense totaled 21 digs, as Asing and Petkova combined for 12 digs.

Piegza had an .833 attacking percentage in the deciding fifth set, with five kills on six attempts and no errors. Ramdin had three kills on six attempts for a .500 hitting percentage.

Following the loss, DePaul fell to 1-10 in Big East play and 4-23 overall. Three players recorded 10 or more kills, including a team-high 17 from sophomore Rachel Auman. Junior Molly Creek recorded 10 kills and nine blocks. DePaul finished with 14 total blocks and seven service aces.