Fencing teams go 3-2 in home tourney

Both the men’s and women’s teams defeated two-time defending National Champion Penn State at the St. John’s Invitational at Carnesecca Arena on Jan. 23 just one day after competing at the NYU Invitational.

The teams bested Columbia, Ohio State and Penn State in the first round, then fell to Notre Dame and Harvard later in the day to post 3-2 records for the one-day tournament.

Junior Nick Vomero posted an 11-4 record on the day to follow up his North Atlantic Cup win in Dallas,  Tx. last week.

“I recently switched to a new coach a few months ago,” Vomero said. “He’s helped me tremendously. Very stressful, but I pulled it out, had a good record both days.”

Freshman Anna Limbach, who comes to St. John’s from Germany, also posted an 11-4 record on the day.

“I think I did a good performance, but I could be better. Definitely.”

Other Red Storm saberists had great days as well. All-American senior Dagmara Wozniak was 12-3, defending National Champion Darryl Homer was 11-4, sophomore Alejandro Rojas was 10-4 and Evgeniya Kirpicheva was 10-5.

The previous day at NYU the women went 3-2 and the men 5-0.

Their next meet is February 27th, the National Squad Championships at West Virginia University.

“I think we can definitely win the NCAA championships with our men and women saber teams,” said Limbach.