Baseball wraps 4-0 week with win over Holy Cross

The St. John’s baseball team powered its way to an 8-2 win over Holy Cross on March 20 with eight extra-base hits,

including seven doubles.

After four straight losses during their trip to North Carolina, the Red Storm’s win over the Crusaders capped a four-game winning streak that included its ninth-consecutive win in their home opener.

Sophomore outfielder Baltz went 2-for-5 with a home run and 3 RBI. Junior second baseman Matt Wessinger went 3-for-5 with two doubles. Junior shortstop Joe Panik went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.

Kept scoreless for the first three innings by Crusaders starter Nate Koneski, the Red Storm tied the score at two in the fourth after a Jeremy Baltz double scored junior Joe Panik and an errant throw on the same play allowed the sophomore outfielder to score. Koneski allowed four runs over six innings, walking one and striking out 10. 

Holy Cross threatened with two outs in the bottom of the fourth. After walking Andrew Barry, St. John’s starter Brendan Lobban allowed a double to Brendan McCrea, but a quick relay throw to the plate kept the Crusaders off the board.

St. John’s, meanwhile, added a pair of runs in the sixth with a pair of two-out doubles by Paul Karmas and Sean O’Hare, taking the lead for good behind Lobban, who retired six of the last seven batters he faced.

The junior left-hander threw six innings and allowed just two runs, both in the first inning. He allowed six hits and struck out eight in his fifth appearance this season.

St. John’s pitchers threw eight scoreless innings after the two-run first, as Eddie Medina relieved Lobban in the seventh and retired all three batters he faced, and sophomore Matt Carasiti retired six straight to finish the game.

Baltz’s homer was part of a three-run eighth. The Red Storm added a run in the ninth as Wessinger singled, stole two bases, and scored as Panik doubled.

Wessinger named to Big East Honor Roll

Wessinger batted a team-high .474 (9-for-19) during the baseball team’s four wins last week, earning a spot on the Big East’s weekly honor roll, the second weekly all-conference accolade of his career.

The junior second baseman posted four multi-hit games, with four doubles, a home run and three RBI. He leads the conference in doubles.