Field conditions cut series

Due to unplayable field conditions at Red Storm Field stemming from last week’s storm, the St. John’s softball team was limited to just one game against Big East-rival South Florida over the weekend.

The Red Storm and Bulls squared off on Sunday, March 20, as South Florida run-ruled St. John’s 10-2 in five innings in the only game of what was supposed to be the second doubleheader between the teams.

The Bulls utilized a six-run third inning to build upon an early 2-0 lead. Stephanie Medina drew a five-pitch walk of St. John’s starter Kat Lawrence with the bases loaded, then Laura Fountain walked to bring another  run in as well.

Though Lawrence was relieved after that point, the damage didn’t stop.

An error by shortstop Chrissy Montez allowed two more runs to score. Following another error, this time by second baseman Amber Curry, South Florida’s Alexis Nowell hit a sac fly

with the bases loaded to drive in another run. Erin Bly stole home on a double steal to complete the scoring.

Lawrence pitched 2 1/3 innings, striking out five while walking six and allowing seven runs, three earned. Lindsey Richardson earned the win for the Bulls, allowing one run on one

hit over four innings.

St. John’s didn’t have a base runner until the third inning, when Chelsea Durning reached on an error by South Florida shortstop Janine Richardson, and didn’t score until the fourth.

Junior Kristi Cady hit a triple down the right field line that scored Montez, who walked. The Red Storm tacked on another run in the fifth when Julia Sanchez advanced two bases following consecutive illegal pitches by Bulls pitcher Capri Catalano.

Both Cady and Sanchez finished the day going 1-for-2 at the plate, amassing the only hits for the Red Storm. St. John’s (13-18, 0-1) travels to DePaul on April 2 for a three-game set against the Blue Demons.South Florida (19-15, 1-0) plays at No. 2 Florida on March 30.